Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gavin

Default Southbend Lathe book

I'm looking for a photo-copy of the title page and the contents
(reverse side) of an old book published by McGraw-Hill "How to run a
lathe" by JJ O'Brien and MW O'Brien. It is probably about 1930. Chapter
1 starts on an early tree lathe and most of the content is on southbend
lathes. Many thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Gavin wrote:
I'm looking for a photo-copy of the title page and the contents
(reverse side) of an old book published by McGraw-Hill "How to run a
lathe" by JJ O'Brien and MW O'Brien. It is probably about 1930. Chapter
1 starts on an early tree lathe and most of the content is on southbend
lathes. Many thanks.

Hi Gavin,

I have a reprint of the 1942 edition (reprinted by Lindsay). I can scan
and e-mail you the two pages if they're what you're looking for. Send
me an e-mail ) if they are.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Gavin wrote:

I'm looking for a photo-copy of the title page and the contents
(reverse side) of an old book published by McGraw-Hill "How to run a
lathe" by JJ O'Brien and MW O'Brien. It is probably about 1930. Chapter
1 starts on an early tree lathe and most of the content is on southbend
lathes. Many thanks.

This book appeared in many editions throughout the 1900s. My oldest was dated
1944, and was the 43rd edition. I own several editions (probably need to thin
the herd a little) but I have noticed little change between them. All editions
open with the early tree lathe graphic. You are welcome to a scanned copy of my
43rd edition's title/contents pages but they are marked with their former
owner's name in ink, and also have additional staining.

If anyone wants a mint never used version of this book contact me off line by
visiting http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html and we'll work something out. At
least 2 available.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Grant Erwin wrote in article

You are welcome to a scanned copy of my
43rd edition's title/contents pages but they are marked with their former

owner's name in ink, and also have additional staining.

If anyone wants a mint never used version of this book contact me off

line by
visiting http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html and we'll work something

out. At
least 2 available.

Why should anyone buy one when you've already violated the copyright and
offered a free scanned version?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

You realize that reprints of that book are readily available from a
variety of sources, less than $10?

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Gavin wrote:
I'm looking for a photo-copy of the title page and the contents
(reverse side) of an old book published by McGraw-Hill "How to run a
lathe" by JJ O'Brien and MW O'Brien. It is probably about 1930. Chapter
1 starts on an early tree lathe and most of the content is on southbend
lathes. Many thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Why would anyone jump to the conclusion that a 1930's copyright
is still valid before checking rudimentary facts?

* wrote:

Why should anyone buy one when you've already violated the copyright and
offered a free scanned version?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

not to mention that South Bend is out of business, and that the entire book
appears in scanned form on the web somewhere or other ..

* wrote:

Why should anyone buy one when you've already violated the copyright and
offered a free scanned version?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On 12 May 2006 01:30:40 -0700, "Gavin"
wrote:

I'm looking for a photo-copy of the title page and the contents
(reverse side) of an old book published by McGraw-Hill "How to run a
lathe" by JJ O'Brien and MW O'Brien. It is probably about 1930. Chapter
1 starts on an early tree lathe and most of the content is on southbend
lathes. Many thanks.

see
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/lathebk/index.html
look for sku 21150 @ 7.95$US

All the Lindsay books are good, although some are a little
"strange."

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 12 May 2006 09:58:24 -0500, Rex B
wrote:

You realize that reprints of that book are readily available from a
variety of sources, less than $10?

Or from Kew Bridge steam museum last August for IIRC, 7.95 GBP
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada