Fred Holder

Default New Book: A Guide to Work-Holding on the Lathe

My new book A GUIDE TO WORKHOLDING ON THE LATHE was published the first of March
by GMC Publications in England. I now have a limited supply of copies available
for sale. My selling price is $22.00 plus $6.00 shipping and handling within the
United States and $11.00 outside the United States. This book was written
because of discussions that occurred on this newsgroup. I realized that many
people needed a guide to mounting wood onto their lathe and a year later the
manuscript was in the publisher's hands.

If you are interested in obtaining a copy of my new book, you can order if from
me at:

Fred Holder
PO Box 2168
Snohomish, WA 98291

Or you can order from the publisher in England. The list price for the book in
England is 14.95 British Pounds (about $27.00 USD).

The following is the publishers statement from the back cover of the book:

"In this comprehensive reference book, Fred Holder introduces the novice or
beginner woodturner to the various options available for mounting wood for
turning on the lathe. It is also an invaluable point of reference for more
experienced woodturners, who are unfamiliar with the wide range of options
available and, indeed, for any woodworkers who occasionally turn pieces of wood
to fit into their current projects.

"Fred starts the book with an introduction to chucking, explaining why the
method of holding the work for a particular project is so important; this is
followed by a brief history of the development of the lathe, and then he goes
straight into detailed descriptions of the various types of chuck available.
Finally, there is a useful section on suppliers and manufacturers of woodturning
tools.

"Included:
Jam fit chucks Glue chucks
Screw chucks
Cup chucks
Pin chucks
Jacob chucks and collet chucks
Machinist-type movable-jaw chucks
Modern four jaw scroll chucks
Vacuum chucks
Eccentric turning methods
Other forms of chucking

"Fred Holder has been turning wood since 1988, experimenting with numerous
different techniques and forms. He is proficient in the use of several
thread-cutting jigs that are used in conjunction with the wood lathe, and has
used the tap and die and tap and screw box to cut threads in wood for many
years. He has demonstrated woodturning at fairs and exhibitions in the USA,
Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and passes on his skills through
teaching and writing. This is Fred's second book. His first, Making Screw
Threads in Wood, was also published by GMC Publications."

If you've been having trouble holding wood on your lathe. This book may answer
many of your questions.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

Nobody

Or...get it for $12.57 (free shipping if you order something else to get
up to $25). Also...they show the list price as $17.95, not the $22 that
Fred does. They do say it's "not yet available" but is orderable.

Also...$6 seems to be high for shipping a book. Something that small
(128 pgs) would probably ship for $1.50-$2 media mail. Add another $1
for the envelope and you're up to $3. Even flat-rate priority, using a
USPS supplied box, would only be $4.

I know Fred has been a big help to people on the group over the years.
And I'm not begruding anyone trying to make a living...but I hate
excessive shipping charges and misrepresentations (the list price,
assuming Amazon is correct).

nb

Fred Holder wrote:

[...]

Fred Holder

I figured "somebody" would have something to say about my posting, but I didn't
expect to see the comment come from "Nobody". To respond briefly, Amazon is
listing the books for less than I could purchase them for from the publisher and
offering free shipping. I don't know how they do it. I mailed two books this
morning: one in the US which cost $5.75 in postage plus the envelope and one to
Australia which cost $11.00 for Air Letter Post. "Nobody" has tried to make it
look like I'm gouging, so don't buy from me. Wait until Amazon has them in stock
and buy from them. I get almost nothing out of the sales made by Amazon, but I
didn't write the book to get rich, but to help the many new to woodturning
people who need help holding stuff on the lathe.

If and when I write another book, I'll make sure not to post its availability on
this newsgroup. It really bothers me to have a "Nobody" accuse me of gouging.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Nobody says...

Fred Holder wrote:

[...]

Bob Lewis

But isn't an autographed first edition worth something?

Nobody wrote in
:

Or...get it for $12.57 ...

Tony Manella

Fred,
If you mark the package as "book" and ship via media rate it shouldn't be
more than $2 for shipping. I've shipped big college text books to Hawaii
from the east coast for only $3 and change. I say this not to criticize as
Nobody did, but to help lower the cost that you can offer the book for.
Congratulations on another book.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

Fred Holder wrote:

[...]

Jack Grube

I received my copy of Fred's book today. Saving a few dollars never crossed my
mind. Why? I respect Fred, appreciate what he has done for woodturning and
was anxious to see his latest publication. It was my way of saying thanks.

Jack Grube