Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Getting Jacobs chuck off arbor

On Fri, 05 May 2006 23:41:53 -0700, xray
wrote:

I have a Jacobs 14N 1/2" chuck for the tailstock of my lathe. The MT2
arbor it is mounted on has spun in some past life and is a bit munged
up.

I ordered a new JT3 to MT2 arbor for it, but now I find I can't budge
the existing arbor out of the chuck. It's not rusty. I've soaked it
penetrating oil for about a day. I tried heating it with a torch and
then later by baking it in the oven. Quickly cooled the arbor with a wet
sponge while the chuck was still several hundred degrees from the oven.
I've succeded in slightly bending a Starrett center punch trying to
pound the arbor through the center hole in the chuck.

Any tips on things I could try to break up this long-term relationship?

Last resort:

Make tapered cavity in a piece of 1.5" dia CRS that matches the nose
taper on the chuck. Clamp this to the chuch in a large vise, with
parallels on the back of the chuck to clear the arbor, with a little
room for the arbor to move until the back of the vise arrests it's
imminent flight.

Machine tapered hole in side of CRS to accept .40 S&W round with
bullet removed....... some key details left to your imagination....