Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Getting Jacobs chuck off arbor

"xray" wrote in message

I have a Jacobs 14N 1/2" chuck for the tailstock of my lathe. The MT2
arbor it is mounted on has spun in some past life and is a bit munged
up.

I ordered a new JT3 to MT2 arbor for it, but now I find I can't budge
the existing arbor out of the chuck. It's not rusty. I've soaked it
penetrating oil for about a day. I tried heating it with a torch and
then later by baking it in the oven. Quickly cooled the arbor with a wet
sponge while the chuck was still several hundred degrees from the oven.
I've succeded in slightly bending a Starrett center punch trying to
pound the arbor through the center hole in the chuck.

Any tips on things I could try to break up this long-term relationship?

I have two wedges with slots in them. Put one on each side and they overlap
some and then tighten in a "C" clamp or vise and the chuck comes right off.
I've had them forever and I'm farily certain they are commercial but they
could be fabricated easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

If you have, or can get a front end fork tool of the right size from an
automotive store you could tap it in between the chuck and the barrel
to loosen the taper. If the barrel has turned, it means the traveler
screw that rides in a slot has been lost or broken. If you can get it
apart it's no big deal to repair.
Bugs