Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Identifying a Sears Chain saw?

Ive got a pretty decent Craftsman marked chainsaw thats now needing a
bit of maint. Chain seems to have stretched a bit as I cant tighten it
up anymore..running out of adjustment slot on the bar, and is pretty
badly worn after years of sharpening, the Windsor sprocket nosed bar
is getting tired (two piece nose) etc

I was told it was a Husky..then told it was a Sthil..but when I went
did some web searching..it appears that it May...May be a Poulan..but
maybe not.

3.7/18"
Model Number 358.3548301
Serial # 1201-2250

The 358 prefixx comes up as a Poulan..and more research may indicate
its a Poulan 3400 or 3700..but then on some cites it indicates those
may be either made BY or FOR Husky. Or something else entirely.

Im rather confused by all this. Id of course rather buy the bits
(chain adjuster) and filters etc online from the discount sites.

Sometime in the past..either I or the previous owner swapped the 18"
bar for a longer one. Ive had it for at least 20 years along with one
of the small common red 2.2 Craftsman/Poulans you can use one handed
(not safely)

How is the bar measured? The Windsor bar I have doesnt have a size
numbering system on it that I can id.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I know there are a number of
small engine etc guys here who may know.

Im gonna need a new chain also..and perhaps a shorter bar, though I
can live with the longer one I have, though its getting a bit worn in
the groove. I only use them a couple times a year..but when I need
em..I really need em.

Any suggestions on the type of chain to buy, for cutting telephone
poles, 6x6s and the odd stump or two?

This saw still runs marvelously well, even after 6-9 months of storage
( I alwas put in some Stabil before putting it up) and I make a point
of fireing all my gas equipment up at least once, if not twice a year.

Thanks

Gunner

Now why doesn't this surprise me one bit?

That's easy.... you're too dull witted to be capable of surprise. What
little synaptic ability you do possess is stretched to the limit with
life support. If you diverted power to the critical thought processors
you'd asphyxiate in a matter of minutes.

George Orwell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Tue, 09 May 2006 00:57:39 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Ive got a pretty decent Craftsman marked chainsaw thats now needing a
bit of maint. Chain seems to have stretched a bit as I cant tighten it
up anymore..running out of adjustment slot on the bar, and is pretty
badly worn after years of sharpening, the Windsor sprocket nosed bar
is getting tired (two piece nose) etc

I was told it was a Husky..then told it was a Sthil..but when I went
did some web searching..it appears that it May...May be a Poulan..but
maybe not.

3.7/18"
Model Number 358.3548301
Serial # 1201-2250

The 358 prefixx comes up as a Poulan..and more research may indicate
its a Poulan 3400 or 3700..but then on some cites it indicates those
may be either made BY or FOR Husky. Or something else entirely.

I've yet to see a Sears chainsaw that wasn't a Poulan in the last
10-20 years or more.

Im rather confused by all this. Id of course rather buy the bits
(chain adjuster) and filters etc online from the discount sites.

Poulan tends to use the same chain adjuster on most saws. However
one that old might need confirmation.

Sometime in the past..either I or the previous owner swapped the 18"
bar for a longer one. Ive had it for at least 20 years along with one
of the small common red 2.2 Craftsman/Poulans you can use one handed
(not safely)

How is the bar measured? The Windsor bar I have doesnt have a size
numbering system on it that I can id.

Good question. After working around these for 25 years I've yet to
find a bar that measured close to name plate size. Basically it's
approximately what's sticking out the end to of the chain saw.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I know there are a number of
small engine etc guys here who may know.

I'll have to check (If I can remember to) my Oregon book to see if
it has a listing for Sears (likely but it probably goes by name on the
cover instead of model number).

Im gonna need a new chain also..and perhaps a shorter bar, though I
can live with the longer one I have, though its getting a bit worn in
the groove. I only use them a couple times a year..but when I need
em..I really need em.

Don't forget the sprocket.

Any suggestions on the type of chain to buy, for cutting telephone
poles, 6x6s and the odd stump or two?

My experience is that Saber,or Homelite chain used to be harder than
Oregon chain. That's likely to of changed since then though. Nothing
will hold up well on telephone poles and the like so a Oregon or
similar chain sharpened frequently is probably as good as it gets.

This saw still runs marvelously well, even after 6-9 months of storage
( I alwas put in some Stabil before putting it up) and I make a point
of fireing all my gas equipment up at least once, if not twice a year.

Proper maintenance is the key to these things. The main problem now
days is the additives to the gas eating up the plastic and rubber
lines.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

http://www.oregonchain.com/sawch.htm

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

What are the numbers on the side of the chain teeth! - that shows the chain pitch...
That can get you to a Oregon bar and chain.

Once there - then you are in duck soup!

http://www.oregonchain.com/sawch.htm find the low kick back - then look for a bar set.
Then vendors - everywhere - Ace to TC to ....

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Dunno about your area, but I have an excellent mower/saw shop nearby
that could fix you right up; although you might decline the daughter
that runs the counter. knowledgable guys; would know right off what you
had, and needed.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Well I can not tell you what it is but I can tell you it is not a Husky
or a Sthil . Measure the bar from the face of the saw , not the end of
the dogs . There should be a number stamped in the bar that will tell
you what to get as well as the chain size . If not measure the distance
between the chain rivets to come up with a size as well as mike the
drivers . With that in hand you should end up with the right size .
Better yet take the entire saw to a good shop and they will get you set
up right . Anything that used to reside nest to a road will have
embedded dirt . That is hard on chains , for that reason I would opt for
a semi chisel tooth . They cut a little slower when sharp than a chisel
tooth but they will keep cutting when a tad dull . Bars can be re
grooved . My guess is you could do it yourself if you had too . Luck
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

The only other rebadged saw that I haveseen at sears was a long long
time ago and it was made by McCullouch. SAince that time frame I hafve
yet to see any saws with a Crapsman label that was not a relabeled
Poulan brand......Stihl or Husky is not and hsa never been rebadged as
a Crapsman.....Husky may own Poulan but certainly does not relabel
Husky saws......

If its a 3400 or 3700 that saw is probably well over 20+ years of age.
I have had both of those saws and I will say they are not of the
typical Poulan quality.They were a super good saw, a bit heavy but
mine worked like a champ and never left me down.........and were
usually used hard and put up wet all their life. The 3400 model was
used hard for over 20 years........and all it cost me was chains and
bars.........the 3700 was about the same way except it cost me a carb
rebuilid.

wrote:
[...]

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

My past experience with Craftsman is that the items may be made
by a well known manufacturer, but that doesn't guarantee that the
standard off the shelf parts will fit the Sears product. I bad
a Craftsman lawnmower with an engine made by Tecumseh years ago,
but even normal replaceable stuff like the muffler was different and
only available from Sears.