Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default looking for info on Edelstaal 12 in lathe.

I was offered an edelstaal lathe, 12 inch swing, with all attachments,
including a taper attachment. I have no experience in this lathe but it
was in decent shape with not much use. I was wondering what it would be
worth.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to John :

I was offered an edelstaal lathe, 12 inch swing, with all attachments,
including a taper attachment. I have no experience in this lathe but it
was in decent shape with not much use. I was wondering what it would be
worth.

Edestall was the name of the importer of the Unimat series
lathes and the larger ones made by Emco-Maier -- very high quality
lathes in the hobbist sizes, and this one sounds like it it at the top
end of that size range. If it is truly fully supplies with all
attachments, I would consider it to be a good buy (assuming that it has
not been beaten to death, of course. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to John :

I was offered an edelstaal lathe, 12 inch swing, with all attachments,
including a taper attachment. I have no experience in this lathe but it
was in decent shape with not much use. I was wondering what it would be
worth.

Edestall was the name of the importer of the Unimat series
lathes and the larger ones made by Emco-Maier -- very high quality
lathes in the hobbist sizes, and this one sounds like it it at the top
end of that size range. If it is truly fully supplies with all
attachments, I would consider it to be a good buy (assuming that it has
not been beaten to death, of course. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Don

Thanks for the informantion. This one is supposedly made in Brazil. I
sometimes get small parts to make and my other lathes are just a little
to big to do them efficiently. He is asking 1500 for it. I should
probably be looking for a small turret lathe since that would be more
handy for the small stuff I get called to do.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to john :

DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Edestall was the name of the importer of the Unimat series
lathes and the larger ones made by Emco-Maier -- very high quality

[ ... ]

Don

Thanks for the informantion. This one is supposedly made in Brazil.

O.K. That is interesting. But I find some of the Emco-Maier
items made in varying places around the world -- but made to
Emco-Maier's specs.

sometimes get small parts to make and my other lathes are just a little
to big to do them efficiently. He is asking 1500 for it. I should
probably be looking for a small turret lathe since that would be more
handy for the small stuff I get called to do.

Then you would probably like my 12" lathe -- a Clausing 12x24"
with a matching serial number bed turret and a lever style collet
closer. Model number is 5418. It has five belt pulley steps from the
motor to the countershaft, while the 5900 series has variable speed.
According to Clausing, it was made in 1957.

No -- I am not looking to get rid of this machine, but just
describing it as an indication of what you might want to look for. I
got it from an eBay auction several years ago.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2) [email protected] Metalworking 22 March 4th 06 04:47 PM
Das Lathe Bench charlie b Woodturning 17 March 2nd 06 04:00 PM
help with newly acquired lathe Jon Elson Metalworking 33 December 28th 05 05:15 PM
Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 06:30 AM