Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CXIII

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Julie Waters

R.H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Is #654 a winch used to tighten/secure bands?

http://juliewaters.com/
http://juliesppuzzlecorner.com/
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could
produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet,
we know this is not true."

--Robert Wilensky, University of California
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

655 left handed broad axe.
659. prism. probably from a tank.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Joseph Crabtree

655...Tobacco knife...used for harvesting tobacco.

R.H. wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

659.
An old Prism for protected outside viewing from inside a tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Only thing I am relatively certain of is;

654 A "strop" for double edge razor blades. With it open, drop the blade
over the two posts, close it up & turn the crank to sharpen both edges @
same time. Uncle had one.

657 No idea, but I'll bet if we saw it from a different angle it would be
more easily identified.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

654 - Laundry mangle for a Leprechaun?
655 - Hewing Hatchet (basically the smaller brother to a broad axe) Used
to shape smaller pieces of wood.
656 -
657 -
658 - Looks more like a double acting vacuum pump for a farm milking
system than an engine.
659 - Part of a tankers prism viewer set. Used to see outside the tank
when the hatch was closed.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

655. Broad axe for squaring timbers.

659 Tank prism. Used on a periscope like device on an armoured
vehicle so the driver or gunner doesn't have to stick his head
out to look around.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

655--Axe for hewing timbers
656--A special-purpose wrench.
657--A wood splitting wedge?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 04 May 2006 08:49:22 +0000, R.H. wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

657: Jennifer Love-Hewitt sucking a lemon. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 04 May 2006 08:49:22 +0000, R.H. wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

654: Cherry juicer? ;-)

658: looks like some project somebody built in their garage, out of stuff
they found at the scrap yard (well, you know what I mean. :-) )

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

654. chuckle you guys have some odd stuff. that thing looks funny,
reminds me of pac-man, an antique mechanical pac-man.
655. for dressing hand hewn beams
656. reminds me of a trivet but can't be (looks to be cast in aluminum)
657. funny. no idea. cool photo. end view of some cast iron thingy.
looks like it would the shape of a bird's beak from the side.
658. cool engine! reminds me of the wright brothers engine for their
Flyer. (but of course and obviously it's much smaller, etc.)
659. my guess would be a periscope for a WWII vintage army tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

William Wixon wrote:

658. cool engine! reminds me of the wright brothers engine for their
Flyer. (but of course and obviously it's much smaller, etc.)

That's exactly what I thought too. The layout is quite similar to the
four stroke, but I don't know whether they have experimented with steam.
The other -quite similar idea- was Colt's steam engine he has built for
an aeroplane. But that engine was much bigger. Colt's engine was quite
impressive. Lots of power (IIRC 70HP) and _very_ light. It could have
been lifted by one man. Can't find that photo anymore.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
TomH

R.H. wrote:

A new set has been posted: --- in r.w.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

654 Pencil sharpener

657 Pen nib

--

TomH [ antonomasia at gmail dot com ]
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
John McCoy

"Steve W." wrote in news:1146751902_191
@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

658 - Looks more like a double acting vacuum pump for a farm milking
system than an engine.

Yes, that makes a lot more sense. The cylinder heads are held on
by just a few wimpy looking rods, which couldn't support even a
very low pressure without leaking. But if it's intended to draw
a vacuum in the cylinder, they'd be self-sealing.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

654) Hmm ... part of it seems to remind me of the old hand-cranked
cigarette rolling machines -- but the vertical metal posts in
the middle seem to make it wrong for the task.

Perhaps it is designed to separate and organize wool on a small
basis?

655) I think that it is called an "adze", and it is for cutting a
flat surface on the side of a log -- useful when making a log
cabin.

656) Support for a ladle for melting lead with a blowtorch?

647) Another view would be helpful, but it looks to me to be
something designed for expanding dents out of tubing such as
dented shotgun barrels. Or perhaps designed for expanding to
shape the toe section of cowboy boot.

658) A steam engine, with three cylinders of equal capacity, so it
is not a progressive engine.

The three cylinders are spread around the circle at 120 degree
intervals, so it should be capable of self starting from any
position with the application of steam.

The chain drive is not capable of handling much power, and it is
designed to increase the speed, so at a guess I would suggest
that it is for running a fan to circulate air heated by the
device which is providing the steam.

A different angle of view might allow me to see how the valve
gear is set up, but it sort of looks as though it is single
acting -- that is each piston is powered only in one direction.

659) This one, at least, I am sure of. It is a prism from a tank
periscope. Two of them and a mounting tubing can make a
periscope (as I did as a kid -- early 1950s). This one is the
exterior end, as the interior end does not have the aiming
hairline, and should have cushioned eyepieces to avoid damage to
the head during travel or when the tank is being shelled. I've
never seen the interior eyepieces for these, but there were a
*lot* of these exterior prisms -- probably they were made in
quantities because they were exposed to enemy rifle fire, and
probably had to be replaced fairly frequently.

Now to see what others have posted.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

654: This rolls cardboard into the tube at the center of a toilet
paper roll.

655: An axe.

656: Test tube holder

657: Looks like a fancy plumb bob, but might actually be a hynoglyph.
I don't know who uses the lemniscus as a trademark, unfortunately.

658: Possibly for running a conveyor belt?

659: Outdoor seed starter

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Don Young

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

657. Looks like a bobbin holder (shuttle) for a sewing machine.
Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Don Young :

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

[ ... ]

657. Looks like a bobbin holder (shuttle) for a sewing machine.

No -- I don't think so -- but perhaps a shuttle for a weaving
loom.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The DoN. Nichols entity posted thusly:

According to R.H. :
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

655) I think that it is called an "adze", and it is for cutting a
flat surface on the side of a log -- useful when making a log
cabin.

No idea what it is, but it isn't an adze. The blade of an adze is at
right angles to the axis of the shaft.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

On 4 May 2006 21:48:51 GMT, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to R.H. :
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

SNIP

658) A steam engine, with three cylinders of equal capacity, so it
is not a progressive engine.

The three cylinders are spread around the circle at 120 degree
intervals, so it should be capable of self starting from any
position with the application of steam.

The chain drive is not capable of handling much power, and it is
designed to increase the speed, so at a guess I would suggest
that it is for running a fan to circulate air heated by the
device which is providing the steam.

A different angle of view might allow me to see how the valve
gear is set up, but it sort of looks as though it is single
acting -- that is each piston is powered only in one direction.

SNIP
Enjoy,
DoN.

Hey DoN,

I sort of doubt this was a "steam" anything. For something so small,
relatively, the "throttle" and supply connection is way too large for
steam.
Personally, I lean towards a vacuum pump, driven by the chain rather
than driving the chain, and the "throttle" would be the output
(???input???).

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Still not sure about the small machine, but the rest have been answered
correctly:

654. Razor blade sharpener

655. Cooper's broad axe

656. Corn Sheller

657. Plumb bob

658. Guesses so far include: part of a player piano, organ, or milking
machine

659. Tank periscope

A few links and photos have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosans115x-1.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bob Meyer

658- A vacuum powered motor that drives the paper roll of a player piano.
It's unusual in that roll motors usually
use bellows rather than pistons, but there were a tons of different player
designs.

Bob