Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

Default What is it? CXIII

On 4 May 2006 21:48:51 GMT, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to R.H. :
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

SNIP

658) A steam engine, with three cylinders of equal capacity, so it
is not a progressive engine.

The three cylinders are spread around the circle at 120 degree
intervals, so it should be capable of self starting from any
position with the application of steam.

The chain drive is not capable of handling much power, and it is
designed to increase the speed, so at a guess I would suggest
that it is for running a fan to circulate air heated by the
device which is providing the steam.

A different angle of view might allow me to see how the valve
gear is set up, but it sort of looks as though it is single
acting -- that is each piston is powered only in one direction.

SNIP
Enjoy,
DoN.

Hey DoN,

I sort of doubt this was a "steam" anything. For something so small,
relatively, the "throttle" and supply connection is way too large for
steam.
Personally, I lean towards a vacuum pump, driven by the chain rather
than driving the chain, and the "throttle" would be the output
(???input???).

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.