Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16588

Default Welder, built during World War II in 1937

"Built during World War II in 1937":

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:48:05 GMT, Ignoramus16588
wrote:

"Built during World War II in 1937":

With bonus antigravity feature!
Maybe it was used for the Philadelphia Experiment.

-Carl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Built during World War II in 1937":

Gee, so the US _was_ in the war four years before it officially declared it was.
Good to know.
Mike in BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

wrote:

"Built during World War II in 1937":

Gee, so the US _was_ in the war four years before it officially declared
it was. Good to know.

Not only that but two years before it started (unless you count the Spanish
Civil War or the Italian invasion of Ethiopia as the start--it's my
understanding that the Germans occupying the Sudetenland is generally
considered to be the start but I may be in error).

Mike in BC

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

wrote:

"Built during World War II in 1937":

Gee, so the US _was_ in the war four years before it officially declared
it was. Good to know.

Not only that but two years before it started (unless you count the
Spanish
Civil War or the Italian invasion of Ethiopia as the start--it's my
understanding that the Germans occupying the Sudetenland is generally
considered to be the start but I may be in error).

The Japanese invaded China in 1929.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16588

wrote:

"Built during World War II in 1937":

Gee, so the US _was_ in the war four years before it officially declared
it was. Good to know.

Not only that but two years before it started (unless you count the Spanish
Civil War or the Italian invasion of Ethiopia as the start--it's my
understanding that the Germans occupying the Sudetenland is generally
considered to be the start but I may be in error).

I think that the official start of WWII is the day when Germany
attacked Poland. September 1939.

The really interesting question (to me) is, was Stalin/the USSR in the
final preparations to attack Germany, when Germany attacked the Soviet
Union first in June 1941.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Never_Enough_Tools

Snipped
The really interesting question (to me) is, was Stalin/the USSR in the
final preparations to attack Germany, when Germany attacked the Soviet
Union first in June 1941.

I would have to say no.....I think Stalin was caught with his pants OFF on
this one.

I believe he was caught by surprise.... and the Red Army was in poor shape
due to his paranoid purging of officers he deemed a threat to his power.

This is pretty much the reason the Nazis did so well at first....But once
the Russians got their act together, the rest was history for ol Adolf.

At any Rate, the WWII we are familiar with did not start in 1937 even if
some parts of it were already simmering.....

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16588

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:20:28 -0400, Never_Enough_Tools wrote:
Snipped
The really interesting question (to me) is, was Stalin/the USSR in the
final preparations to attack Germany, when Germany attacked the Soviet
Union first in June 1941.

I would have to say no.....I think Stalin was caught with his pants OFF on
this one.

I believe he was caught by surprise.... and the Red Army was in poor shape
due to his paranoid purging of officers he deemed a threat to his power.

I think that we all agree that he was caught by surprise. The question
is what he was doing when that happened.

How come he concentrated so many troops and so many tanks, right at
the border? If not for defense (which seems to be the case given lack
of preparation for defense), then why?

I cannot see any reasonable explanation to this other than preparation
for an attack on Germany.

This is pretty much the reason the Nazis did so well at first....But once
the Russians got their act together, the rest was history for ol Adolf.

That's definitely true.

At any Rate, the WWII we are familiar with did not start in 1937 even if
some parts of it were already simmering.....

Agreed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Courtney

Slightly off-topic, but I read today that the Germans are ready to open
their Nazi archives to the public:
"The files contain the names and detailed information on roughly 17 million
people killed, tortured or forced into slave labour during the Nazi regime."
http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/worl...ves060419.html

"Ignoramus16588" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:20:28 -0400, Never_Enough_Tools
Snipped