Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default help my sanity-- spray paint troubles

If it's for outside use, there's other choices than Rustoleum. My last
go-around with that brand has put me off it indefinitely. Stuff would
lift off with naptha after two weeks drying time in the summer heat.
Naptha normally doesn't affect most dry and cured finishes. You could
try the oven for drying, if the parts are small enough or use heat
lamps to see if you can get a better cure.

Last time I needed a flat black finish, I went with urethane in a spray
can. That brand disappeared overnight off the paint store shelves when
CA went with their revised VOC regs. The stuff I've sprayed with it
has stood up well, though, still have some full cans of it. There's
some flat epoxy sprays that work pretty good, not as durable as the
urethane, though.

You have a much wider paint selection if you can get even a small spray
gun setup, auto finishes are extremely durable and you can get just
about any color you want. Downside is cost for the paint, though.
Small touchup guns like I started with run $15-20 on sale at HF, work
great for the odd small paint job and usually don't need a huge
compressor.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Peterson

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

One comment on the cost of paint...There are paint shops that will sell or
even give away mistints and body shops will sometimes let older partial cans
of paint go so they don't have to dispose of it. A spray gun is the way to
go for job you need a durable finish on.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

I often get lots of already mixed paints form body shops...I get all
kinds of colors and types, with the exceptions of primer sealers. They
have to pay to have it hauled away, and most are happy to let someone
have it for free.

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:23:32 -0500, "Steve Peterson"
wrote:

legroups.com...

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....