Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default help my sanity-- spray paint troubles

"Mike" wrote in message
news
This time I used Rust-o-leum primer first, then applied the same spray
paint. But it seems the finish is even softer than before.

What am I doing wrong? I'm about to give up on this seemingly simple
project. The cast-iron parts that I painted are just fine.

Nothin'... Alkyd enamels take quite a bit of time (often weeks) to reach
full hardness. Cyanic hardeners will speed that up, but you can't add them
to spray paint already in the can.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Courtney

Yes... weeks upon weeks sometimes before Rustoleum fully "cures out".
You shouldn't use their "Rusty Metal Primer" on clean metal either,
because there's too much fish oil in it, so it dries even slower and the
paint won't adhere very well.
David

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
m...