Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Mr Wizzard

Default Drying welding rod in a barbeque grill?

Why not just soak em in that new Silica Gel cat litter ?
No heat, no propane-moisture issues, no cow fat inclusion
problems. Maybe make up a deticated cat little box, put
the 7018 in an old nylon, and cover up in the litter pan for
a day or too - that stuff will suck water out of a rock!

"Ignoramus29446" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to know if 7018 rod can be dried in a gas grill. Mine is
relatively nice, made of stainless steel, and can do up to about 600
degrees F.

1. Would it effectively dry the rod

2. Would stainless steel of this grill be damaged by several hours at
hot temperature.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Gary Owens

And what would happen as soon as the cat saw that. Imagine welding with rod
soaked in cat ****.
gary

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Why not just soak em in that new Silica Gel cat litter ?
No heat, no propane-moisture issues, no cow fat inclusion
problems. Maybe make up a deticated cat little box, put
the 7018 in an old nylon, and cover up in the litter pan for
a day or too - that stuff will suck water out of a rock!

"Ignoramus29446" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to know if 7018 rod can be dried in a gas grill. Mine is
relatively nice, made of stainless steel, and can do up to about 600
degrees F.

1. Would it effectively dry the rod

2. Would stainless steel of this grill be damaged by several hours at
hot temperature.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Mr Wizzard

"Gary Owens" wrote in message
om...

And what would happen as soon as the cat saw that. Imagine welding with

rod
soaked in cat ****.

No, no, no, you got it wrong.... I'm not talking about
using -THE- main litter box, I'm talking about some
deticated pan on a shelf somewhere with that silica-gel
cat litter stuff. But I do see your point - cat sees anything
that looks like at litter pan, *expeically* a "clean" litter pan,
and ****s flowing (litterally). Good point. But seriusly...

gary

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
Why not just soak em in that new Silica Gel cat litter ?
No heat, no propane-moisture issues, no cow fat inclusion
problems. Maybe make up a deticated cat little box, put
the 7018 in an old nylon, and cover up in the litter pan for
a day or too - that stuff will suck water out of a rock!

"Ignoramus29446" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to know if 7018 rod can be dried in a gas grill. Mine is
relatively nice, made of stainless steel, and can do up to about 600
degrees F.

1. Would it effectively dry the rod

2. Would stainless steel of this grill be damaged by several hours at
hot temperature.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Richard Smith

"Mr Wizzard" writes:

I would like to know if 7018 rod can be dried in a gas grill. Mine is
relatively nice, made of stainless steel, and can do up to about 600
degrees F.

1. Would it effectively dry the rod

2. Would stainless steel of this grill be damaged by several hours at
hot temperature.

In an electric oven there is no water (H2O) of combustion

eg methane burning

CH4 + 2 O2 - CO2+ 2 H20

You certainly will do no harm with a clean domestic electric oven.

Look out for contributions of experienced folk on this. however, as I
understand it:

If you are only welding mild steel (it won't harden by heating to red
and quenching) or you are not welding moderately hardenable steels at
more than about 10mm 3/8th-inch thickness (quite thick!), you don't
have to worry about hydrogen at all at all.

Don't try to dry anything but "basics" - which includes 7018. They
are the only ones which may be dried. Other rods (6013 and 6010/6011)
need moisture content.

Richard Smith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Mr Wizzard

"Richard Smith" wrote in message
"Mr Wizzard" writes:

[...]

I have a Black & Decker Toaster Oven out in the garage that
(for some damn reason the other half just never liked) that I
also use. Width of the over was just a tad too small for normal
length rods, so I cut a round hole in the side. Granted, it doesn't
get up to 700 degrees, but gets pretty darn hot (expecially if you
bypass the little timer/thermostat)

Richard Smith