Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Clamping challenge vs. a jig???

Hello all,

I am getting close to making some changes to a plate that is essentially
as long a my mill's table, and a little more than twice as wide.
There are three or four sets of hole patterns (e.g. at corners of each
of two fans) that need to align with objects to be attached to the
plate. There are some waste areas (likely to be cut with a hole saw)
that can be placed "using the force" as long as the hole patterns work.

One option would be make jigs for placing the holes using a punch, and
then resort to an electric drill for making the holes. Another option
is to drill a few extra holes for clamping, and then to make covers or
just use hole plugs to repair the damage.

Knowing that I was near limits, I _think_ I managed to orient the items
such that all hole locations can be reached with the plate on the mill.
The plate would need to be turned for that to work. For each item,
the relative spacing of the mounting holes is important for easy
assembly. Two fans need to be mounted within the hole pattern for a
box, but they do not need to be precisely located therein, nor does the
box need to appear on the plate with any particular precision.

The plate is 0.09" or so thick, and at least in the past has been made
of a truly ugly grainy powdery substance that resembles metal until it
is cut Drilling is not a problem.

Would you try to clamp it to the mill, or would you make jigs for the
drilling? If the latter, any suggestions? Would you worry just about
guiding a punch, or would you try to make something to guide the drill
bit itself? I am assuming that any jig would be held in place with
bolts running through holes in waste areas - the fans will make that
easy to do.

Harold, I have not forgotten our open discussion on flycutters, but have
been slammed with computer/electronics work that give the above
mentioned box a reason to exist. I found a good sale on a cheap bench
grinder which stands ready - now I just have to learn how to use it

Thanks!

Bill