Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Default Parts ID Needed

"Earl" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bought a box of tools on eBay the other day. The box belonged to a tool
and die maker who worked at Pratt and Whitney, with some tools, such as
small NS taps, dating back to WWII and earlier (he put his name and a
date on tooling he made himself). After taking what I can use, I'm
going to put the rest up on eBay, not because there's much money in it
but because I hate throwing out something that others can put to use.

Anyhow, there are three things I can't identify. A picture is at:

http://www.swcp.com/usvmyg/whatsits.jpg

The left hand item, which may be special-purpose tooling, is a form of
collet chuck that can be finely adjusted off-center. Has a 0.309 dia
removable collet. 0.5 in shank.

There were a bunch of things like those in the middle, with small
shanks of various sizes and holes of various sizes. They appear
precision ground. Some have the small end as square or hex. I don't
know if the one standing upright with the hole in it goes with the
others -- the seller just dumped the contents of the drawers into big
boxes :-(

The object on the right is 4.5" long x 0.75" high. The cross-section is
shown in the inset. It's by Brown and Sharpe, part number 530 (Googling
drew a blank). The point is very sharp and was protected with a cool
little crocheted bootie.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

My guesses, from left to right:

1) Boring head
2) Small punch and die
3) Straight edge

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Earl wrote:

The left hand item,

.... is a boring head. A very small one.

The object on the right is 4.5" long x 0.75" high

.... and is a straight edge. For checking flatness of surfaces.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Earl wrote:
Bought a box of tools on eBay the other day.
Anyhow, there are three things I can't identify.
Any and all help greatly appreciated.

They appear to be a boring head, edge finder, and straightedge.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hans van Dongen

Earl wrote:

The object on the right is 4.5" long x 0.75" high. The cross-section is
shown in the inset. It's by Brown and Sharpe, part number 530 (Googling
drew a blank). The point is very sharp and was protected with a cool
little crocheted bootie.

Part of a bevel protractor?
they sometimes have "legs" in different lengths

like:
http://roseantiquetools.com/sitebuil...starrett45.jpg

Hans

--

This is a non-profit organization;
we didn't plan it that way, but it is

(remove uppercase trap, and double the number to reply)