Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Default Clausing 5400 drive belt removal

I need to disassemble my Clausing 5449 lathe to get it downstairs
into the shop. The 5449 is a 1968 vintage 5400 series with variable
speed drive and clutch.

To remove the lathe bed from the cabinet, I have to take off the
3 spindle drive belts. The manual tells how to adjust the tension
for those belts, but not how to remove or replace them.

Is anybody familiar with the procedure for removing the belts on
this machine? I don't want to disassemble the entire countershaft
if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. O'Brian

If you want minimum hassle, cut the belts and replace them with Fenner
PowerTwist Plus and have a smoother running lathe.

http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...twist_home.asp

Randy

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
I need to disassemble my Clausing 5449 lathe to get it downstairs
into the shop. The 5449 is a 1968 vintage 5400 series with variable
speed drive and clutch.

To remove the lathe bed from the cabinet, I have to take off the
3 spindle drive belts. The manual tells how to adjust the tension
for those belts, but not how to remove or replace them.

Is anybody familiar with the procedure for removing the belts on
this machine? I don't want to disassemble the entire countershaft
if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

It's an interesting idea -- though the reeves drive is a lot
rougher and noisier than the spindle drive. The powertwist
belts are well-recommended and it could save me a lot of
trouble.

I'd still like to know the recommended procedure for belt
replacement in any case!

R. O'Brian wrote:
If you want minimum hassle, cut the belts and replace them with Fenner
PowerTwist Plus and have a smoother running lathe.

http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...twist_home.asp

Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Berger :
I need to disassemble my Clausing 5449 lathe to get it downstairs
into the shop. The 5449 is a 1968 vintage 5400 series with variable
speed drive and clutch.

To remove the lathe bed from the cabinet, I have to take off the
3 spindle drive belts. The manual tells how to adjust the tension
for those belts, but not how to remove or replace them.

Well ... I've got a 5418, not variable speed, but still those
three belts in parallel from the countershaft to the spindle cone
pulley.

Is anybody familiar with the procedure for removing the belts on
this machine? I don't want to disassemble the entire countershaft
if I can avoid it.

You'll have to remove both the spindle and the back gear
(actually underneath gear) from the headstock to do it.

The next section of the manual (if yours is like mine) is:

How to Remove Headstock Spindle

And after the "Re-Assembling the Headstock Spindle" you will find the:

How to remove back gears

Once you have done this, you can lift the headstock clear. It
is secured by four bolts through two clamp bars from the bottom. It
will also probably have a taper pin through the front lip of the
headstock casting into the near ways rail, to assure precise repeating
of the position.

At least you won't also have to remove the countershaft to
actually *change* the belts for what you are doing.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

If anybody else needs to do it:

Remove the back panel and loosen the two jack screws in the
cross ties to reduce the belt tension. Remove the 4 hex
screws from the bearing caps for the countershaft and remove
the caps. The countershaft can be pulled out the slid away
from the belts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

My manual doesn't have those parts. I didn't see any missing pages
but it might have been superceded by a later one. Thanks! It was
actually easier to remove the belts by removing the countershaft,
but it's nice to know how the other end will look when I get to it.

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Well ... I've got a 5418, not variable speed, but still those
three belts in parallel from the countershaft to the spindle cone
pulley.

You'll have to remove both the spindle and the back gear
(actually underneath gear) from the headstock to do it.

The next section of the manual (if yours is like mine) is:

How to Remove Headstock Spindle

And after the "Re-Assembling the Headstock Spindle" you will find the:

How to remove back gears

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Berger :
My manual doesn't have those parts. I didn't see any missing pages
but it might have been superceded by a later one. Thanks! It was
actually easier to remove the belts by removing the countershaft,
but it's nice to know how the other end will look when I get to it.

I'm quoting from the manual which I got from Clausing -- matched
to the serial number of my lathe. You should be able to get one as
well, and it covers not just what you have but related ones.

But for quick-and-dirty, you could download mine:

http://www.d-and-d.com/misc/MANUALS/...THE-MANUAL.pdf

It is made from a scanning, so it is very slow to display, but
high resolution.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Thanks for putting that on-line! I have the original manual that
came with the lathe, but it may be missing some pages -- or may
have been updated later.