Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default OT - signed up for a trades course

Bit the bullet. SIgned up yesterday for the trade course in fitting and
turning. Will take me a year, but at the end of it I will know what you
guys are talking about! - and be able to do things properly without
wrecking tools, make two indentical things the same size, and not be
wondering "what the F**** is that tool for........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Congratulations, Andrew!

To get the most out of your investment in time and money I would
encourage you to ask lots of thoughtful questions, ie. ones that the
text books skim over.

Also feel free to post any relevant questions here.

Good luck!

Wolfgang

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Bit the bullet. SIgned up yesterday for the trade course in fitting and
turning. Will take me a year, but at the end of it I will know what you
guys are talking about! - and be able to do things properly without
wrecking tools, make two indentical things the same size, and not be
wondering "what the F**** is that tool for........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On 29 Mar 2006 16:03:28 -0800, "Andrew VK3BFA"
wrote:

Bit the bullet. SIgned up yesterday for the trade course in fitting and
turning. Will take me a year, but at the end of it I will know what you
guys are talking about! - and be able to do things properly without
wrecking tools, make two indentical things the same size, and not be
wondering "what the F**** is that tool for........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Hey Andrew,

Good for you. You can never have too many skills or too much
education.

Will this be a "full-time" day-time course, or evenings, or what, and
where?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

wrote:

Bit the bullet. SIgned up yesterday for the trade course in fitting and
turning. Will take me a year, but at the end of it I will know what you
guys are talking about! - and be able to do things properly without
wrecking tools, make two indentical things the same size, and not be
wondering "what the F**** is that tool for........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Hey Andrew,

Good for you. You can never have too many skills or too much
education.

Will this be a "full-time" day-time course, or evenings, or what, and
where?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

It will be one full day a week - that suits me as I am running my own
small business - its the apprentice program, so they get day release to
do it. Hopefully be able to do extra stuff at night classes. It will be
very basic stuff at first, but since my last formal metalwork was at
school over 30 years ago, dont mind at all. Later sections will deal
with CAD software, CNC stuff - but at the moment, I want to get the
basics of learning how to do precision measurements, marking out, how
to use a manual lathe and mill.

This group has been fantastic - much friendly advice to a newcomer, a
good spirit of sharing. Thank you all - I have learnt SO much by
lurking, following links. Doing this course is the next step in my
education.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

[...]

Goodonya Andrew
Where are you doing it? I should do something
like that myself. I'm pretty close to what used to
be called Moorabbin TAFE so might try that in a
little while. What is the course called? .The
problem with being retired, is you just don't have
the time to do all the things you want to. Maybe
next year.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Tom Miller wrote:

Goodonya Andrew
Where are you doing it? I should do something
like that myself. I'm pretty close to what used to
be called Moorabbin TAFE so might try that in a
little while. What is the course called? .The
problem with being retired, is you just don't have
the time to do all the things you want to. Maybe
next year.

Tom

Hi Tom,
yep, its at Morrabbin - its about 45 mins for me (Bugger) with an
8.30am start, but you can do it at night if you want - just takes
FOREVER. Course code is MEM20198 Cert II in Engineering Production.
They have a website, but its got bugger all on it. Email me at
with a phone no if you want any info - can give
you contact phone no's and names.

Nice bunch of people, I think they will give you a bit of slack to do
your own stuff once you have got up to speed. A few "mature age" people
in the class (I have been told) as well as testosterone laden
youngsters.

Lots of nice big machine tools.....a mixture of Italian, American and
Chinese gear. Lots of nice modern CNC stuff (the room looks more like
a hospital than a workshop, its immaculate...) - at this stage, I want
to get the basics of running manual machine tools. Old enough to know
how little I know... I got stuffed around by Box Hill TAFE so its a
late enrolment this year - cant do the hours I would like, have to do
extra stuff next year. If you have a Centrelink concession card, fees
are VERY reasonable....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Skilled Trades? Cliff Metalworking 0 January 8th 06 01:03 AM
CALLING ALL LOCAL LONDON TRADES PERSONS-PLUMBERS-ELECTRICIANS-BUILDERS-TILERS-HANDYPERSONS [email protected] UK diy 2 December 4th 05 08:59 AM
Getting a tool "signed" - how? bugbear Metalworking 13 September 11th 05 04:30 AM
Edinburgh all trades neil leslie UK diy 0 April 13th 04 06:15 PM
Jack of all trades primer, sealer, undercoat --- master of none? Michael Brewer UK diy 1 March 5th 04 11:21 AM