Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eco-Friendly Paint?

Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 27 Mar 2006 04:25:29 -0800, "Andrew VK3BFA"

Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks

Bit of a contradiction here - think about it. Your making it out of
steel - mined from the earth, (I could say ripped from the bowels of
Mother Earth, but that would be a bit too nutty even for this group) )
transported huge distances, made in huge energy hungry mills fueled by
burning coal, belching pollution, (probably with a poor standard of
occupational health and safety)

You then weld it together - a environmentally unfriendly pratice due
pollution from welding fumes and UV and RF radiation from the welder.
Plus the pollutants from the factory that made the welder, and the
rods. Oh, and the coal fired power station that generated the
electricity to run your welder. And you will be frightening small cute
furry endangered species animals while doing this. And what about the
whales and the dolphins that will be effected by the toxic runoff from
the whole process?

And your worried about eco-friendly PAINT?????

I suggest you reconsider your destructive plan, and just sit quietly in
the corner until these anti-environmental urges pass.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Thank god for Computer Condoms...I got Dew and cigarette ashes all
over this one......

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:35:22 GMT, "Ken Finney"
wrote:

Most paints are made 99.999% from stuff that
originally came from our planet earth so they are grandfathered as
environmentally and ecologically friendly.

Powder coat instead?

Cadmium plate ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Tom Miller wrote:

How about linseed oil and yellowcake. It's pretty
vibrant, AND you can find the furniture in the
dark

Thats not a bad idea - sort of like painting watch hands with radium.
(Pity about the poor *******s who had the job of applying the paint)

Always remember a line from a book - "Suddenly, the lights went out.
The only sound was the slithering of the furniture as it re-arranged
itself around the room........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Tom Miller wrote:

How about linseed oil and yellowcake. It's pretty
vibrant, AND you can find the furniture in the
dark

Thats not a bad idea - sort of like painting watch hands with radium.
(Pity about the poor *******s who had the job of applying the paint)

Always remember a line from a book - "Suddenly, the lights went out.
The only sound was the slithering of the furniture as it re-arranged
itself around the room........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Interesting bit about the dial painters.

There was a high incidence of cancers among the dial painters, largley
from the habit of "pointing" their paintbrush with saliva, either by
licking or drawing the tip over a wet lip. Some were not affected.

When it was looked into, it apears the incidence of cancers was much
much lower among those that stopped at the pub on the way home.
Apparently a couple pints of beer was enough to signifigantly decrease
the amount of radium that stayed in the system.

If ever there was a good reason to have a beer or two after work....

Got that from a watch collectors magazine, can't vouch for it's
accuracy.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On 28 Mar 2006 04:54:29 -0800, "Andrew VK3BFA"
wrote:

Tom Miller wrote:

How about linseed oil and yellowcake. It's pretty
vibrant, AND you can find the furniture in the
dark

Thats not a bad idea - sort of like painting watch hands with radium.
(Pity about the poor *******s who had the job of applying the paint)

Especially the ones who rolled the tip to a finer point on the tip of
their tongue.

Always remember a line from a book - "Suddenly, the lights went out.
The only sound was the slithering of the furniture as it re-arranged
itself around the room........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

When it was looked into, it apears the incidence
of cancers was much
much lower among those that stopped at the pub
on the way home.
Apparently a couple pints of beer was enough to
signifigantly decrease
the amount of radium that stayed in the system.

If ever there was a good reason to have a beer
or two after work....

I KNEW it was therapeutic!

Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 01:59 PM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 10 July 26th 03 02:35 PM