DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Eco-Friendly Paint? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/150771-eco-friendly-paint.html)

[email protected] March 26th 06 10:44 PM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks :)

Treedweller March 26th 06 11:30 PM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

On 26 Mar 2006 13:44:10 -0800, wrote:

Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks :)

I haven't tried them, but you can get eco-wise paints at
www.ecowise.com

Gary Brady March 27th 06 03:07 AM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

wrote:
Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks :)

Powdercoating is about as enviro-friendly as you can get. No solvents
to flash off, not toxic. Does take some equipment to apply though.
There are free, very detailed books are available online for download if
you're interested to find out more.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

T.Alan Kraus March 27th 06 06:26 PM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

wrote:
Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks :)

It all is manufactured from parts that came from this Universe, so it's
universally friendly. Most paints are made 99.999% from stuff that
originally came from our planet earth so they are grandfathered as
environmentally and ecologically friendly.

cheers
T.Alan

Ken Finney March 27th 06 08:35 PM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message
Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks :)

It all is manufactured from parts that came from this Universe, so it's
universally friendly. Most paints are made 99.999% from stuff that
originally came from our planet earth so they are grandfathered as
environmentally and ecologically friendly.

Powder coat instead?

Gunner March 27th 06 08:41 PM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

On 27 Mar 2006 04:25:29 -0800, "Andrew VK3BFA"

Hello, I am new to metalworking and had a question... I am making an
indoor furniture piece from steel and had intentions to paint it. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/ non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any tips on application?
Thanks :)

Bit of a contradiction here - think about it. Your making it out of
steel - mined from the earth, (I could say ripped from the bowels of
Mother Earth, but that would be a bit too nutty even for this group) )
transported huge distances, made in huge energy hungry mills fueled by
burning coal, belching pollution, (probably with a poor standard of
occupational health and safety)

You then weld it together - a environmentally unfriendly pratice due
pollution from welding fumes and UV and RF radiation from the welder.
Plus the pollutants from the factory that made the welder, and the
rods. Oh, and the coal fired power station that generated the
electricity to run your welder. And you will be frightening small cute
furry endangered species animals while doing this. And what about the
whales and the dolphins that will be effected by the toxic runoff from
the whole process?

And your worried about eco-friendly PAINT?????

I suggest you reconsider your destructive plan, and just sit quietly in
the corner until these anti-environmental urges pass.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Thank god for Computer Condoms...I got Dew and cigarette ashes all
over this one......

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Tom Miller March 28th 06 09:41 AM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote
in message
oups.com...

wrote:

.. Does
anyone know of any environmentally-friendly/
non-toxic paints I can use
to achieve a pretty vibrant finish? Also, any
tips on application?
Thanks :)

I suggest you reconsider your destructive plan,
and just sit quietly in
the corner until these anti-environmental urges
pass.

Andrew VK3BFA.

How about linseed oil and yellowcake. It's pretty
vibrant, AND you can find the furniture in the
dark

Andrew VK3BFA March 28th 06 01:54 PM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

Tom Miller wrote:

How about linseed oil and yellowcake. It's pretty
vibrant, AND you can find the furniture in the
dark

Thats not a bad idea - sort of like painting watch hands with radium.
(Pity about the poor *******s who had the job of applying the paint)

Always remember a line from a book - "Suddenly, the lights went out.
The only sound was the slithering of the furniture as it re-arranged
itself around the room........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Trevor Jones March 28th 06 02:30 PM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Tom Miller wrote:

How about linseed oil and yellowcake. It's pretty
vibrant, AND you can find the furniture in the
dark

Thats not a bad idea - sort of like painting watch hands with radium.
(Pity about the poor *******s who had the job of applying the paint)

Always remember a line from a book - "Suddenly, the lights went out.
The only sound was the slithering of the furniture as it re-arranged
itself around the room........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Interesting bit about the dial painters.

There was a high incidence of cancers among the dial painters, largley
from the habit of "pointing" their paintbrush with saliva, either by
licking or drawing the tip over a wet lip. Some were not affected.

When it was looked into, it apears the incidence of cancers was much
much lower among those that stopped at the pub on the way home.
Apparently a couple pints of beer was enough to signifigantly decrease
the amount of radium that stayed in the system.

If ever there was a good reason to have a beer or two after work....

Got that from a watch collectors magazine, can't vouch for it's
accuracy.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Gerald Miller March 29th 06 01:41 AM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

On 28 Mar 2006 04:54:29 -0800, "Andrew VK3BFA"
wrote:

Tom Miller wrote:

How about linseed oil and yellowcake. It's pretty
vibrant, AND you can find the furniture in the
dark

Thats not a bad idea - sort of like painting watch hands with radium.
(Pity about the poor *******s who had the job of applying the paint)

Especially the ones who rolled the tip to a finer point on the tip of
their tongue.

Always remember a line from a book - "Suddenly, the lights went out.
The only sound was the slithering of the furniture as it re-arranged
itself around the room........"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Tom Miller March 29th 06 08:26 AM

Eco-Friendly Paint?

When it was looked into, it apears the incidence
of cancers was much
much lower among those that stopped at the pub
on the way home.
Apparently a couple pints of beer was enough to
signifigantly decrease
the amount of radium that stayed in the system.

If ever there was a good reason to have a beer
or two after work....

I KNEW it was therapeutic!