Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flanged shaft collar?

Hi,

I am building a small wind turbine from scratch. I have a smooth shaft
and I would like to attach the three blades on to it. I guess the way
to do this is to find a flanged collar to lock on to the shaft and then
bolt the blades on to the flange? I search the web for collar and only
found those locking collars that don't have any flange on them.
Without the bolted flange, I can't really attach the blade. Does
flanged collar exist? Or am I heading the wrong path?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

For anyone to help, you should tell us what size fan blades, what
shape fan blades, what diameter shaft. What are you hoping to
drive?

It could be as simple as getting the fan blades already attached
to a hub with a set screw for a 1/2" shaft from a discarded AC
condenser fan.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am building a small wind turbine from scratch. I have a
smooth shaft
and I would like to attach the three blades on to it. I guess
the way
to do this is to find a flanged collar to lock on to the shaft
and then
bolt the blades on to the flange? I search the web for collar
and only
found those locking collars that don't have any flange on them.
Without the bolted flange, I can't really attach the blade.
Does
flanged collar exist? Or am I heading the wrong path?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The shaft is 1" in diameter and 2 feet long. I am carving the blades
from wood the the length of the blades is 1 foot long. At this point,
I am not driving anything. I want to put together this simple turbine
for fun and learn more about wind turbine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Ned for the info. I have a lead now to continue.