Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Hotsy Pressure washer questions

One of the things I brought home this weekend..was a Mod 530 Hotsy
pressure washer. It had not been run in at least 5 yrs..so they
declared it surplus and loaded it into my trailer with a fork lift.

I had to replace the fuel lines (diesel/fuel oil burner) and putz with
the pressure switches, grease the pump etc etc etc. One wheel was a
cripple, so used the pair I got at the last show in Visalia (perfect
size..$5 for the pair)

Works pretty good. However...I think its running too rich. Now this
may be due to a worn orfice, or the fuel/air mixture is not right. Air
mixture apparently is changed by opening/closing a vented band that
goes around the air intake side of the motor/blower housing. If I open
it too much..I get white smoke and not much heat. If I close it too
much..I get a faint black smoke and not a lot of heat.

There is no online manual on the Hotsy website. Anyone know of the
proper way to set fuel air mixture on a #2 fuel oil blower/igniter
gizmo? Or what I should be looking for as far as the exhaust output
is concerned? Do I need to buy a new nozzle? (I dont think Ive got a
drill bit that small anymore) I think...think there is too much fuel
going out the nozzle as the water tubes in the boiler are now pretty
blackened with soot (after filling the tank with a 5 gallon can here
marked Diesel..but had way way too much oil in it...had to dump it and
go buy some fresh..which did cause it to burn ..the first stuff
wouldnt even catch fire..and covered the tubes with oil..which smoked
a bit as it burned off.

Anyone know what the orfice size should be? I can solder it
shut..then redrill maybe.

I figure this is about the same sort of burner as a residential oil
burner..so...

Thanks

Gunner, now able to clean nasty oily machine tools squeeky clean

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Can't answer your orifice question in any serious way (lots of off-color humor
comes to mind) but I commend you on your find. A hot steamer will indeed be
useful around your place. I have used hot water under pressure to take off grime
from surprising places. You can also use it to make money removing graffiti
should you choose to, don't know how much tagging goes on in Taft ..

GWE

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Can't answer your orifice question either (I saw a girl standing on a
corner that might...)
Beware the pressure side-an old machine may be weak and have corrosion
or fatigue damage...don't want to hot-wash your face...
A fuel oil burner has a VERY narrow A/F range, and atomization,
turbulence, temperature of the combustion chamber, and the character of
the blower air flow all affect combustion. Make sure the blower wheel
and passages are clean, run fresh diesel through it, and tweak the mix
in tiny increments. You can pick up an HF laser temp guage(should have
one anyway...) for $50. Good for getting the hottest flame.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

You will need to replace the nozzle with a new one, available at any oil
burner supply, or from Hotsy. You can't just drill it out, anymore than you
could drill out a fuel injector, it is not a simple hole (complex fluid
dynamics). There are various atomizing spray patterns, (semi solid, hollow,
or solid), and the proper GPH rating. You must also set the pump pressure
to 100psi, adjust the air band setting, and check for proper ignition (Set
electrodes).

Tony

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:32:19 -0500, "Tony"
wrote:

You will need to replace the nozzle with a new one, available at any oil
burner supply, or from Hotsy. You can't just drill it out, anymore than you
could drill out a fuel injector, it is not a simple hole (complex fluid
dynamics). There are various atomizing spray patterns, (semi solid, hollow,
or solid), and the proper GPH rating. You must also set the pump pressure
to 100psi, adjust the air band setting, and check for proper ignition (Set
electrodes).

Tony

Cool. Now how do I adjust the fuel pump pressure? Its an outboard pump
mounted to the end of the blower motor, with no obvious adjustments.
Just a "brake" style bleeder, a drain, a gauge port and a second
return port, all plugged off.

Ajusted the air band for the best setting possible, but its still too
rich

Ignition was adjusted perfectly according to the diagram on the
ignitor cover.

Ill do a web search and see if there is a Hotsy dealer in So. Cal I
can stop in.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

One of the ports on the pump is a pressure port where you would install a
1/8"NPT 0~200 PSI gauge. There is a recessed slotted screw on the outer
circumference of the pump that adjusts the pressure.(not far from the
bleeder you already noted.)

If you have a plugged nozzle thats ****ing, then all the adjustments aren't
going to make a difference until that is corrected.

Tony

wrote:

[...]

.. .