Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default I beam fact sheet

I want to build an overhead trolley system with a hoist on it. I want to
let one end of the top I beam extend past the support so that it will stick
out over a pickup bed to unload the truck. Where can I find out what the
max load is going to be for the length of stickout for a particular beam?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Steve B wrote:
I want to build an overhead trolley system with a hoist on it. I want to
let one end of the top I beam extend past the support so that it will stick
out over a pickup bed to unload the truck. Where can I find out what the
max load is going to be for the length of stickout for a particular beam?

Steve

This question, phrased variously, comes up all the time. Think for a moment,
Steve, and you will realize that in this litigious society nobody is about to
advise someone on something as risky as overhead beam loading. Then go buy a
steel databook. In the last few years I've picked up a couple, one is the
Ryerson Steel Data Book (very good) and the other is simply titled "Pocket
Companion" by U. S. Steel Corporation, also excellent. Steel handbooks will give
you a good guideline. I can only suggest you build conservatively.

BTW your "stickout" beam is loaded in cantilever, if you search try that term.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

This question, phrased variously, comes up all the time. Think for a
moment,
Steve, and you will realize that in this litigious society nobody is about
to advise someone on something as risky as overhead beam loading. Then go
buy a steel databook. In the last few years I've picked up a couple, one
is the Ryerson Steel Data Book (very good) and the other is simply titled
"Pocket Companion" by U. S. Steel Corporation, also excellent. Steel
handbooks will give you a good guideline. I can only suggest you build
conservatively.

BTW your "stickout" beam is loaded in cantilever, if you search try that
term.

GWE

I have a pretty good background in construction and rigging. I generally
figure in a factor of 3 when calculating. So, if I want to lift a maximum
of 500#, I would build it to support over 1500#. It allows for wind and
cerebral flatulence, things that sooner or later are going to occur.

But, now, I can call my steel supplier and ask what is the cantilever info
on X I-beam.

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Ah, just tell him to get a 8" X 16" I beam. That should manage anything
he can get in a pickup! LOL
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hoists and cranes for material lifting services are designed with a
factor of safety of 5, based on the ultimate tensile strength of the
steel.

If you want to lift persons the factor of safety is 10, plus a whole
lot of regulatory grief.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
c.henry

Steve B wrote:
I want to build an overhead trolley system with a hoist on it. I want to
let one end of the top I beam extend past the support so that it will stick
out over a pickup bed to unload the truck. Where can I find out what the
max load is going to be for the length of stickout for a particular beam?

Steve

for 6 feet of stick out with a load of 1500 lbs at the end of that stick
out , using a single beam ,

s12x31.8 lb per foot beam

you get .0951 deflection at the end of the beam

you get a max bending stress of 2970 psi at the support 6 feet from end

this is a safty facto of 10

using an 8 inch S8x23 lb per foot

you get .32 inch of deflection at 6 feet with 1500 lbs

the max bending stress is 6660 psi at the last support , this would be a
safety factor of 6 for a 1500 lb load [ about the max in a half ton pick up

the problem is going to be pushing that load up the 3/8 inch deflection hill

if you can build support into the top of the beam and use an underhung
trolly you could safely use a 4- 6 inch beam , but this would take an
engineered support for the top of the beam

also remember that as you load the cantilevered section it will create a
pulling load on the supports past the closest support to the load

also i can email beam boy zips to any body who needs one the web site
seems to be down

i can also design supported beams and engineered gussets if you need them .

no p.e. stamps mind you , that costs more as i have to walk to the end
of the office to have the boss stamp it
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"c.henry" wrote

a very informative exact answer to my question snipped

Thank you, sir. I have copied this to a file, and will apply it at the
proper time.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Grant Erwin writes:

in this litigious society nobody is about to
advise someone on something as risky as overhead beam loading.

Liability does not attach to giving free advice and expressing opinions
such as this forum. You must be thinking of professional liability.