Larry Jaques

Default Any Engineers Here? I have a quiz for you.

--clip--
We challenge any so-called smart Yankee to take this exam
administered by the University of Arkansas' Engineering Department:

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will
support a 10- pound possum.

2. Which of these cars will rust out the quickest when placed on
blocks in your front yard? A '65 Ford Fairlane, a '69 Chevrolet
Chevelle or a '64 Pontiac GTO.

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20
gallons of 'shine produced per hour, how many car radiators are
required to condense the product?

4. A woodcutter has a chain saw which operates at 2700 RPM. The
density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470 per acre.
The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14
inches. How many Budweisers will be drunk before the trees are cut
down?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
simultaneously, what would be the percentage decrease in the ozone
layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a
field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16
feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. When the porch
collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?

7. A man owns a Tennessee house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with
an average slope of 15%. The man has five children. Can each of his
grown children place a mobile home on the man's land and still have
enough property for their electric appliances to sit out front?

8. A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep
slope on a secondary road at 45 MPH. The brakes fail. Given average
traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that it
will strike a vehicle with a muffler?

9. A coal mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area.
The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the
beginning of the 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels
will be smoked during the shift?

10. At a reduction in the gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per
generation, how long will it take a town that has been bypassed by the
Interstate to breed a country-western singer?

Can you pass this test ?
--clip--

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

From: Larry Jaques
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Any Engineers Here? I have a quiz for you.
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:27:42 GMT

Glenn Lyford

We challenge any so-called smart Yankee to take this exam

This has been done on the newsgroup not that long ago, see
http://tinyurl.com/2ujfa

--Glenn Lyford
Bob Swinney

Dave sez:
God that's funny. Tears running down my face type funny. I used to have a
folder with po' southern white trash jokes in it but I think it got lost

over
time.

Got lost over time? Naw! You probably incorporated it into some trashy
cockney yarn and forgot all about it.

Bob Swinney

From: Larry Jaques
Date: 16/02/04 04:27 GMT Standard Time
--clip--
We challenge any so-called smart Yankee to take this exam
administered by the University of Arkansas' Engineering Department:

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will
support a 10- pound possum.

snip

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do

though.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:18:07 GMT, John Doe brought
forth from the murky depths:

Isn't this supposed to be labeled off-topic.

Perhaps, but it had metal and machinery content.
Do you often quote all lines when posting rhetoric?

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Charles Stevens

See below for answers. These from a friend of mine in Texas.

We challenge any so-called smart-ass Yankee to take this exam
administered by the University of Arkansas Engineering
Department:

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree
that will support a 10-pound possum.
Ans. 'Bout half the size of my liddle finger.

2. Which of these cars will rust out the quickest when placed
on blocks in your front yard? A '65 Ford Fairlane, a '69
Chevrolet Chevelle or a '64 Pontiac GTO.
Ans. The Fairlane of course. The other two were fixed up and used in a demo
derby. And ya' shoulda seen that GTO go!

3. If your uncle builds a still which operates at a capacity
of 20 gallons of shine produced per hour, how many car
radiators are required to condense the finished product?
Ans. Four.

4. A woodcutter has a chainsaw which operates at 2700 RPM. The
density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470
per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree
diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweisers will be drunk before
the trees are cut down?
Ans. Depends. Is he a Baptist or a Catholic? If Assemblies, nix the Bud and
bring on about 40 gallons of sweet tea.

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented it's charge
of R-12 simultaneously, what would be the percentage decrease
in the ozone layer?
Ans. Cain't be calc'lated. They done vented years ago.

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers
with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch
length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine.
When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?
Ans. Six or seven according to who's porch yore talkin' about.

7. A man owns a Tennessee house and 3.7 acres of land in a
hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has five children.
Can each of his grown children place a mobile home on the man's
land and still have enough property for their electric
appliances to sit out on the front porch?
Ans. Of course. Where else are they gonna' put them?

8. A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down
a steep slope on a secondary road at 45 MPH. The brakes fail.
Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is
the probability that the truck will strike a vehicle with a
muffler?
Ans. Whut are brakes?

9. A coal mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous
Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is
issued at the beginning of th 3rd shift. How many cartons of
unfiltered Camels will be smoked during that shift?
Ans. None. Everybody I know has switched to them sissy ol' Marlboros.

10. At a reduction in the gene pool variability rate of 7.5%
per generation, how long will it take a town which has been
bypassed by the Interstate to breed a country-western singer?
Ans. Son, you ain't been there, have you? They have already generated 32 of
them and as the gene pool gets shallower, production is goin' up. Sheesh,
you don't seem to know nuthin.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated