Ted Edwards

Default Top dead center finder

I just put a write up and photo of a tool to conveniently locate top
dead center of an engine.

Ted

Ted Edwards

Ted Edwards wrote:

I just put a write up and photo of a tool to conveniently locate top
dead center of an engine.

OOPS! Forgot the URL:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ter_Finder.txt
and
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ter_Finder.jpg

Ted

Randy Zimmerman

Nice little adapter.
When I took aircraft maintenance decades ago we were cautioned to come
up towards TDC from both directions making marks then find the center mark
between. This allows for any bearing clearances in the rod and increases
accuracy at locating TDC.
Randy

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Ted Edwards wrote:

I just put a write up and photo of a tool to conveniently locate top
dead center of an engine.

OOPS! Forgot the URL:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ter_Finder.txt
and
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ter_Finder.jpg

Ted

Peter Grey

I found an accurate and perhaps easier tool to make is simply a solid rod in
a spark plug. By bring the piston gently up against the plug rod in both
directions, making a mark for each on the flywheel or balancer, and then
splitting the difference, you can find TDC easily.

Peter

Ted Edwards wrote:

I just put a write up and photo of a tool to conveniently locate top
dead center of an engine.

OOPS! Forgot the URL:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ter_Finder.txt
and
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ter_Finder.jpg

Ted

Ted Edwards

Peter Grey wrote:

I found an accurate and perhaps easier tool to make is simply a solid rod in
a spark plug. By bring the piston gently up against the plug rod in both
directions, making a mark for each on the flywheel or balancer, and then
splitting the difference, you can find TDC easily.

This took maybe 10 or 15 minutes to make and it sure is nice to watch
that dial gauge as you rock the crank back and forth. It even gives you
a feel for just how much slop (not much) there is in the basic method.

Ted