Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Metal casting

"Jim Bremer" wrote in message
I need to either make some small metal bolts myself or have them cast.
Does
anyone know of a cheap way to do it my self, with green sand? or RTV? or
know of a place that could do it?

Here's a pic of what I need to make, the bolt on the left. It's cast is
some sort of white metal, maybe some brass content.
http://www.zarwerks.com/temp/DSCN2089.JPG

Those look like sled runner bolts. They can be fabricated from ordinary
carriage bolts by forging the head in a shaped hardy-hole. You needn't cast
new ones.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Jim Bremer" wrote in message
I need to either make some small metal bolts myself or have them

cast. Does
anyone know of a cheap way to do it my self, with green sand? or

RTV? or
know of a place that could do it?

Here's a pic of what I need to make, the bolt on the left. It's

cast is
some sort of white metal, maybe some brass content.
http://www.zarwerks.com/temp/DSCN2089.JPG

Thank you,
Jim

Those are forged not cast.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

The one on the loeft is forged or stamped and rolled. Why would you
need a cast bolt. Its gonna be hard to get good thread pitch by
casting, usiing greensand.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Roy" wrote: (clip) Its gonna be hard to get good thread pitch by casting,
usiing greensand.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was my first thought, until I looked at the pictures. Then, I thought,
"He's going to cast it without threads and then run a die over it."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Jim Bremer wrote:
I need to either make some small metal bolts myself or have them cast. Does
anyone know of a cheap way to do it my self, with green sand? or RTV? or
know of a place that could do it?

Here's a pic of what I need to make, the bolt on the left. It's cast is
some sort of white metal, maybe some brass content.
http://www.zarwerks.com/temp/DSCN2089.JPG

Thank you,
Jim

This looks very close to a plow bolt . Go check as a farm equipment
dealer and see if they will work as is or can be modified . I suspect
this would be a lot easier then making them from scratch . Luck
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Lloyd sez:

" Those look like sled runner bolts. They can be fabricated from ordinary
carriage bolts by forging the head in a shaped hardy-hole. You needn't
cast new ones."

Lloyd, please elaborate a little on "forging" and "hardy-hole". You are
talking about heating the head beyond red and hammering it into a hole (die)
of the desired shape - no?

Bob Swinney

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. ..

"Jim Bremer" wrote in message
I need to either make some small metal bolts myself or have them cast.
Does
anyone know of a cheap way to do it my self, with green sand? or RTV? or
know of a place that could do it?

Here's a pic of what I need to make, the bolt on the left. It's cast is
some sort of white metal, maybe some brass content.
http://www.zarwerks.com/temp/DSCN2089.JPG

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Lloyd sez:

" Those look like sled runner bolts. They can be fabricated from
ordinary
carriage bolts by forging the head in a shaped hardy-hole. You needn't
cast new ones."

Lloyd, please elaborate a little on "forging" and "hardy-hole". You are
talking about heating the head beyond red and hammering it into a hole
(die) of the desired shape - no?

Precisely. If you want a good lesson on how, track down a copy of the old
PBS documentary "Ben's Mill".

In that show, Ben (who runs an authentic water turbine New England wood
mill) makes a mocassin-runner firewood sled from scratch, and forges runner
bolts for their attachment.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Robert Swinney" wrote: Lloyd, please elaborate a little on "forging" and
"hardy-hole". You are talking about heating the head beyond red and
hammering it into a hole (die) of the desired shape - no?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The idea is correct, but the words aren't. A "hardy hole" is a square hole
in the top of an anvil that can be used to hold things like dies or chisel
edges. You would need a properly shaped die to pound the red hot steel
into. The trick will be making a die with the proper internal contour to
produce the shape you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Robert Swinney" wrote: Lloyd, please elaborate a little on "forging" and
"hardy-hole". You are talking about heating the head beyond red and
hammering it into a hole (die) of the desired shape - no?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The idea is correct, but the words aren't. A "hardy hole" is a square
hole in the top of an anvil that can be used to hold things like dies or
chisel edges. You would need a properly shaped die to pound the red hot
steel into. The trick will be making a die with the proper internal
contour to produce the shape you need.

But Leo, you need to start with a hardy hole to accommodate the square shank
on the carriage bolt. Then you grind/file/drill/chisel the top of the hole
to the profile you wish for the head. This particular design is almost
trivial. Start with a square hole and countersink it to the head profile -
or start with a countersunk round hole, and square up the hole.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Robert Swinney" wrote: Lloyd, please elaborate a little on

"forging" and
"hardy-hole". You are talking about heating the head beyond red

and
hammering it into a hole (die) of the desired shape - no?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The idea is correct, but the words aren't. A "hardy hole" is a

square hole
in the top of an anvil that can be used to hold things like dies or

chisel
edges. You would need a properly shaped die to pound the red hot

steel
into. The trick will be making a die with the proper internal

contour to
produce the shape you need.

"relatively" easy to make the die if you have an good example of the
bolt. Drill a thread sized hole in the stock that you want to make
the die from, heat it to a good yellow heat, hammer the bolt head
sample through the hole to form a recess of the shape you want.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote: But Leo, you need to start with a hardy hole
to accommodate the square shank on the carriage bolt. Then you
grind/file/drill/chisel the top of the hole to the profile you wish for the
head. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jim made it clear that he understood the process you were describing, but
that the meaning of "hardy hole" was new to him. To my mind, a hardy hole
is a square hole in the top of an anvil. It is a standard square shape that
is intended to have dies or chisels dropped into it. I don't think one
would want to modify a hardy hole for a particular job. This is what I was
trying to clarify.

question jr Metalworking 17 August 30th 05 01:37 AM
Attaching wooden lats to a metal balcony rail Andy Woodworking 1 February 2nd 05 11:45 AM
Degassing Casting metal - Web Update Frank Metalworking 3 December 23rd 04 05:54 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM