Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

Default Metal casting

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote: But Leo, you need to start with a hardy hole
to accommodate the square shank on the carriage bolt. Then you
grind/file/drill/chisel the top of the hole to the profile you wish for the
head. (clip)
Jim made it clear that he understood the process you were describing, but
that the meaning of "hardy hole" was new to him. To my mind, a hardy hole
is a square hole in the top of an anvil. It is a standard square shape that
is intended to have dies or chisels dropped into it. I don't think one
would want to modify a hardy hole for a particular job. This is what I was
trying to clarify.