Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.fitness.weights
B.B.

Default Handling 150 lbs devices

In article ,
Ignoramus23984 wrote:

I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
"shop crane", but that is a hassle.

I do generally deadlift 170 lbs, but I am a little afraid that
unloading is a different kind of movement and is more injury prone. I
am not really all that worried to damage the devices, each cost me
around $6, but I do not want to get injured.

So, I am looking for some simple unloading ideas that could make it a
little safer. Such as, perhaps, to put a "step" close to the tailgate
so that I could first lower the thing on that step, and only then to
the dolly.

Maybe I am just a wuss and unloading should be no problem, but I
wanted to check with knowledgeable people.

Any thoughts?

Seems I'm too late, but I'll throw this in anyway.
I lift/carry/move stuff in the 100-300 lbs range daily. I weigh 145.
For unloading a pickup I have a long chunk of 2" iron pipe. Probably in
the neighborhood of 8-9 feet long. I drag the item to the tailgate,
lash it to roughly the middle of my pipe with a chain. I make at least
one full round with the chain so it won't slide along the pipe. Set one
end of the pipe on a full barrel, stout toolbox, or anything else
roughly the height of the truck's bed and stable. Lift the free end,
walk it around and set it down. Then pick up the other end from the
support, walk it around, set it down and I'm on the ground.
For the heaviest stuff I do it in stages--set that "free" end on a
bucket or something instead of directly onto the ground--so I don't
shift as much weight to the end I'm holding as I lower it.
No injuries, no strain, no surprises. Yet, anyway. (:
I made a small wood dolly one foot square, with six small steel
casters under it. Set a 1,000 lbs fully assembled rear axle on it and
rolled it without much trouble. Even over expansion joints in the
floor. Any slip would have dropped it a whopping two and a half inches.
Lower is always better, but that's low enough for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:26:23 GMT, Ignoramus29329
wrote:

As far as carrying heavy things, I deadlift more than 150 lbs (nothing
to brag about, just stating a fact), but with odd shapes and hard to
grab objects, it is a little more risky.

It is a lot more risky if it isn't a straight up lift.

100 lb was considered a "one-man carry" in the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, meaning that a man was expected to lift and move 100 lb
loads all day long. But this was in context of loads lifted with
crossbars, forget what they called 'em, so that men on each end of the
bar had essentially a dead lift and carry. 600 lb bridge section
or timber, 6-man carry and so on, all day or until the bridge is
built whichever happens last.