Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.fitness.weights
RoyJ

Default Handling 150 lbs devices

150 pounds is just the wrong weight. Too heavy to do it by yourself, too
much hassle to rig up a hoist.

If it was me, I'd just wait and schedule a friend suitable for that kind
of weight. If the shape is ugly, you may wish to strap it to a piece of
1" pipe to give you a nice handle.

For what it's worth, I have a hoist rail, trolly, and lift in my garage,
good for 1000 to 2000 pounds. Doesn't help much with a SUV and a
liftgate. And hauling a lathe out of basement at an estate sale is NOT
fun when the best we could do was get the biggest piece down to 220
pounds. And a steep folded staircase with low headroom to boot.

Ignoramus23984 wrote:
I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
"shop crane", but that is a hassle.

I do generally deadlift 170 lbs, but I am a little afraid that
unloading is a different kind of movement and is more injury prone. I
am not really all that worried to damage the devices, each cost me
around $6, but I do not want to get injured.

So, I am looking for some simple unloading ideas that could make it a
little safer. Such as, perhaps, to put a "step" close to the tailgate
so that I could first lower the thing on that step, and only then to
the dolly.

Maybe I am just a wuss and unloading should be no problem, but I
wanted to check with knowledgeable people.

Any thoughts?