Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default VFD and AC Motor question

I have a 3 phase Leeson 2HP motor and KBAC-27D controller on my KMG grinder.
Controller data: http://www.kbelectronics.com/data_sheets/kbac.pdf
Now I am looking for a motor for disc grinder I can hook up to the same control so I
have variable speed on both
I found a good deal on this 3 phase Baldor motor($100 for a brand new one):
http://www.baldor.com/products/detai...40C+AMB%2DCONT
Problem is that it's 3450RPM For the work I am doing recommended RMP is 1725.

My question: is there any problems running this motor at less than half speed all the
time? Any problems swithching between motors with different RPM(my other motor is 1725RMP)?

Thanks,
Alex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Alex wrote:

My question: is there any problems running this motor at less than half
speed all the time? Any problems swithching between motors with
different RPM(my other motor is 1725RMP)?

You're running the internal fan at less than half speed all the time, so it will
likely get hot. I'd look for the right motor, I know it's hard to be patient.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

You are only going to get half the rated hp at half speed. Not to
mention getting it pretty hot.

Alex wrote:
I have a 3 phase Leeson 2HP motor and KBAC-27D controller on my KMG
grinder.
Controller data: http://www.kbelectronics.com/data_sheets/kbac.pdf
Now I am looking for a motor for disc grinder I can hook up to the same
control so I have variable speed on both
I found a good deal on this 3 phase Baldor motor($100 for a brand new one):
http://www.baldor.com/products/detai...40C+AMB%2DCONT

Problem is that it's 3450RPM For the work I am doing recommended RMP is
1725.

My question: is there any problems running this motor at less than half
speed all the time? Any problems swithching between motors with
different RPM(my other motor is 1725RMP)?

Thanks,
Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. O'Brian

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
I have a 3 phase Leeson 2HP motor and KBAC-27D controller on my KMG
grinder.
Controller data: http://www.kbelectronics.com/data_sheets/kbac.pdf
Now I am looking for a motor for disc grinder I can hook up to the same
control so I have variable speed on both
I found a good deal on this 3 phase Baldor motor($100 for a brand new
one):
http://www.baldor.com/products/detai...40C+AMB%2DCONT
Problem is that it's 3450RPM For the work I am doing recommended RMP is
1725.

My question: is there any problems running this motor at less than half
speed all the time? Any problems swithching between motors with different
RPM(my other motor is 1725RMP)?

Thanks,
Alex

The 2-pole motor might be OK. But you will get only 1/2 rated Hp at 30
Hz(1725 RPM). Also will get 1/2 cooling, but I don't think you will have a
problem unless your duty cycle is very high. You cannot optimize the VFD
settings for both motors unless you reset when you change motors.
Since the Baldor is so cheap, I would set up the VFD for the 2HP motor and
let the Baldor suffer if it becomes necessary. I'm betting it won't.

Randy