Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. O'Brian

Default VFD and AC Motor question

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
I have a 3 phase Leeson 2HP motor and KBAC-27D controller on my KMG
grinder.
Controller data: http://www.kbelectronics.com/data_sheets/kbac.pdf
Now I am looking for a motor for disc grinder I can hook up to the same
control so I have variable speed on both
I found a good deal on this 3 phase Baldor motor($100 for a brand new
one):
http://www.baldor.com/products/detai...40C+AMB%2DCONT
Problem is that it's 3450RPM For the work I am doing recommended RMP is
1725.

My question: is there any problems running this motor at less than half
speed all the time? Any problems swithching between motors with different
RPM(my other motor is 1725RMP)?

Thanks,
Alex

The 2-pole motor might be OK. But you will get only 1/2 rated Hp at 30
Hz(1725 RPM). Also will get 1/2 cooling, but I don't think you will have a
problem unless your duty cycle is very high. You cannot optimize the VFD
settings for both motors unless you reset when you change motors.
Since the Baldor is so cheap, I would set up the VFD for the 2HP motor and
let the Baldor suffer if it becomes necessary. I'm betting it won't.

Randy