Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Max Krippler

Default Russian Welder?

Hi,
I'm going to take a look at this "Russian Built" MIG welder tomorrow.
A fellow here in town got a close-out deal on several and now he is
unloading them. 200 amp max. 80-amp continuous. From the size of it
it and it's weight (70lbs?) it looks like it could be an inverter
type of unit. I duno...

I was hoping somebody here might be familiar with this make because I
cannot find anything else out about it. I'm told that it looks very
well made-- much better than any made in china units-- and that the
price is about one-fourth of what a comparable Miller or Lincoln unit
would be. I'm buying it for only occasional use (and I'm not made out
of money!)

Here is a picture of it:

http://home.socal.rr.com/swcpages/pics/ussrwelder.jpg

Thank you in advance for any advice.

--Max

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Max Krippler" wrote in message
[...]

Define "unloading".

Uh, you don't know the amperage. You don't know the power source. You
can't find any information about it ...........

SLAP!

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo? Is anybody in there?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don

ME i would gamble on it. There is always a way to make it work.
Especially if it is a good deal.
Don

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ioan Barladeanu

Steve B wrote:
Uh, you don't know the amperage. You don't know the power source. You
can't find any information about it ...........

Yes he does.

In my experience with Russian-made items, I've found them in general to
be cheap, sturdy and ugly. Wich is good.
P.S. (not so serious): First time you mentioned the russian MIG, I was
thinking a MIG 21 or 29, heheh..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Don" wrote in message
ups.com...
ME i would gamble on it. There is always a way to make it work.
Especially if it is a good deal.
Don

Yep. And if it don't, it sounds like the weight would make it a good boat
anchor. Does your city have an outlet that sells consumables for a Russian
MIG?

Welder that is.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I have seen that welder before can't seem to place it but its an inport that
is not real expensive.
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

heres one
http://cgi.ebay.com/200-AMP-MIG-WELD...QQcmdZViewItem
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Ok far to many posts from me on this, but take a look at sold items for
this, walk away from the deal and wait for a real machine. If you are
looking for a baby mig I think the world of my Lincoln weldpak 155, I paid
$200 used 4 years ago and its still a great machine. It has about the same
ratings as the welder you are looking at and I can get parts from the
autoparts store, welding supply store, hardware store and even HD.
"wayne mak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:05:12 GMT, Max Krippler
wrote:

[...]

Id swear Ive seen that at Harbor Freight, though it doesnt show up on
their website.

However..they are all over ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-AMP-MIG-WELD...QQcmdZViewItem

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:27:51 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Max Krippler" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

From Ebay auction of these...

200 AMP MIG WELDER 17345

30 to 200 amp welding range

Welds 24 gauge and thicker

40% duty cycle @ 150 amps

11-3/4''diameter spool; 220VAC, 60Hz; Output power: 200 amps AC;
Welding current: 30 to 200 amps; Capacity: 24 guage and thicker; Duty
cycle: 100% @ 120 amps, 40% @ 150 amps, 20-25% @ 200 amps;Overall
dimensions: 27-3/4'' x 25-3/4'' x 10-1/2'',

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:31:02 GMT, Ignoramus9035
wrote:

[...]

What Steve said, do not pay too much. At least not without opening it
up and seeing how it is made. Make sure that it is operational.

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-Amp-Mig-Weld...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-AMP-MIG-WELD...QQcmdZViewItem

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

wrote:

[...]

I've seen it there as well. I know the New Hartford store had one on the
shelf last week. Didn't look to bad but I didn't tear it apart and see
how it was built. I do know it had a crappy gun on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Just a thought:

When buying a welder, think of it as a car.

Will it start and run every time I need it?

Will it quit half way to where I am going?

Will I be able to get the spare parts to keep it going?

That's the main difference between a good car/welder and a bad one. One
runs almost all the time. The other one sits around a lot on blocks or on a
shelf.

Just a thought.

You get what you pay for. Cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap.

YMMV.

STeve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

For that size it looks like it will be an inverter. Persnonally, I would
not touch an inverter that I did not know where to buy replacement
internals.

Max Krippler wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Max Krippler

Thank you all for the advice. I'll take a pass on the thing. He
wanted $450, but after looking at how many sold on eBay for less than
$300-- that plus the fact that even Harbor Freight has discontinued
them (!!!) tells me a lot about this welder.

On another subject, what amperage MIG would I want to weld .250"
aluminum plate?

Thanks,
--Max

Max Krippler wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I stopped at Horrible Freight today, same welder was sitting promently
by the front door for $245

DuAll DWB-1A Welder AHS Metalworking 0 November 18th 05 02:23 PM
Stryco blade welder Jim Levie Metalworking 18 December 17th 04 08:54 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Gardner Metalworking 4 September 26th 03 06:51 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Kendrick Metalworking 1 September 26th 03 12:56 AM
Wiring my new 220 stick welder in my shop Bruce Metalworking 8 July 20th 03 04:16 AM