Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Disassembling a 6" Westcott chuck?

A gunsmith friend of mine brought me one of the basis Westcott 3 jaw
chucks..threaded back, that needs to come apart for cleaning.

There are 3 cap screws in the back, three in the front, and a single
near the single wrench hole.

I pulled all the screws..and still the damned thing wont come
apart..it appears that something to do with the wrench gear is holding
the thing together. The back is loose and will move but the wrench
gear is the pivot point of the movement. Everything appears to come
out the backside of the chuck body.

Anyone ever popped one apart? They are common enough..shrug

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:40:49 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Remove any fasteners, mount it up and spin it as fast as you can...it'll
come apart!

Chuckle..a 2lb dead blow hammer in my hands wouldnt make it come
un****ed..and Im told I can **** up an anvil......

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
A gunsmith friend of mine brought me one of the basis Westcott 3 jaw
chucks..threaded back, that needs to come apart for cleaning.

There are 3 cap screws in the back, three in the front, and a single
near the single wrench hole.

I pulled all the screws..and still the damned thing wont come
apart..it appears that something to do with the wrench gear is holding
the thing together. The back is loose and will move but the wrench
gear is the pivot point of the movement. Everything appears to come
out the backside of the chuck body.

Anyone ever popped one apart? They are common enough..shrug

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Gunner :
A gunsmith friend of mine brought me one of the basis Westcott 3 jaw
chucks..threaded back, that needs to come apart for cleaning.

There are 3 cap screws in the back, three in the front, and a single
near the single wrench hole.

I pulled all the screws..and still the damned thing wont come
apart..it appears that something to do with the wrench gear is holding
the thing together. The back is loose and will move but the wrench
gear is the pivot point of the movement. Everything appears to come
out the backside of the chuck body.

I don't know that particular brand, but I have a question:

Are there three threaded holes in the backplate between the
three holes from which you removed the screws which went through to the
chuck body? If so, it may be intended that you use those just removed
screws in the other holes to jack the backplate clear of the body. It
is often a *very* tight fit on a well mounted chuck.

If so, the front bolts probably hold the retaining plate on
behind the scroll plate -- once you get the backplate removed.

If not, I'm not sure what to suggest, since as I said, I've
never handled one of those.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564