Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.fitness.weights
Glenn

Default Handling 150 lbs devices

"Ignoramus23984" wrote in message
.. .
I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
"shop crane", but that is a hassle.

I do generally deadlift 170 lbs, but I am a little afraid that
unloading is a different kind of movement and is more injury prone. I
am not really all that worried to damage the devices, each cost me
around $6, but I do not want to get injured.

So, I am looking for some simple unloading ideas that could make it a
little safer. Such as, perhaps, to put a "step" close to the tailgate
so that I could first lower the thing on that step, and only then to
the dolly.

Maybe I am just a wuss and unloading should be no problem, but I
wanted to check with knowledgeable people.

Any thoughts?

Build one of these for your truck
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/spitzlift.htm
Handy little crane that stuffs into the receiver hitch and away ya go. Put
a hand winch on it and it works pretty fast.
Glenn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Default GUNNER...... Handling 150 lbs devices

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 21:02:38 -0800, "Glenn"
wrote:

SNIP

Build one of these for your truck
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/spitzlift.htm
Handy little crane that stuffs into the receiver hitch and away ya go. Put
a hand winch on it and it works pretty fast.
Glenn

Hey Gunner,

When I went to see this URL (above), I scrolled right to the bottom,
and you immediately popped to mind. Have a peek at:

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Bedslide/bedslide.htm

Take care,

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 21:02:38 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Glenn" quickly quoth:

"Ignoramus23984" wrote in message
I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
"shop crane", but that is a hassle.

(Nothing which saves your back is a hassle, Ig. Nothing! Borrowing
that hydraulic lift table is your best bet for now.)

Build one of these for your truck
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/spitzlift.htm
Handy little crane that stuffs into the receiver hitch and away ya go.
Put
a hand winch on it and it works pretty fast.

Let's see, he spent $6 each for these 10(?) items and now you
want him to spend $400 for the unit and $389 for the offset
hitch lift which makes it usable in a pickup? I don't think so.

You didn't read what I said. BUILD one. He has a "new" welder and probably
a bunch of scrap iron lying about. I have a couple of the HF cranes but
they mess up the bed of the truck and leave a huge chunk in the way. They
also have problems aligning to center of the bed for the lift. The other
problem is that if you overload them they rip hell out of the truck. All
reasons I am really happy I tried em out on company rigs first I really
like the reciever hitch idea and plan to build one to adapt to the HF cranes
but I have to put a reciever on the truck first.

The simplest (next to borrowing the lift table) would be some pipe in the
pockets with a crossbar to attach a rope to and slide em down a ramp using
the rope to control the fall.

Geeze Larry .. you should know me well enough to realize I would neve
suggest buying something that easy to build LOL!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1647
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/1000-1999/1647.pdf (manual)

The HF crane is a good deal when on sale for $60, though it does take

T-shirts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Ignoramus16172" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 04:55:37 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 21:02:38 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Glenn" quickly quoth:

"Ignoramus23984" wrote in message
m...
I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
"shop crane", but that is a hassle.

(Nothing which saves your back is a hassle, Ig. Nothing! Borrowing
that hydraulic lift table is your best bet for now.)

I will use a slide/ramp, and I agree 100% on the back issue.

Build one of these for your truck
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/spitzlift.htm
Handy little crane that stuffs into the receiver hitch and away ya go.
Put
a hand winch on it and it works pretty fast.

Let's see, he spent $6 each for these 10(?) items and now you

6 items (there was other stuff in the lot also besides the 6 power
supplies, total cost about $62)

want him to spend $400 for the unit and $389 for the offset
hitch lift which makes it usable in a pickup? I don't think so.

Exactly

NO! I was advising to look at those pictures and construct a device similar
to be useful at many other times down the road. Thought you might like a
nice welding project to actually use your new welder for something
practical. That is the whole point of having all these cool tools .. so you
can spend a couple hours putting together something out of scrap that would
cost way more than the time/materials to make yourself. It will also be
custom fit to your needs and vehicle.
sorry to misslead.
Glenn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 09:40:59 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Glenn" quickly quoth:

SNIP
You didn't read what I said. BUILD one. He has a "new" welder and
probably

You're right, Glennn. I missed that, only seeing the URL which most
people send instead of saying "Build one!" Mea culpa.

a bunch of scrap iron lying about. I have a couple of the HF cranes but
they mess up the bed of the truck and leave a huge chunk in the way. They
also have problems aligning to center of the bed for the lift. The other
problem is that if you overload them they rip hell out of the truck. All

You're not supposed to pick up -Shipleys- wif 'em, Glenn.

This was a case where somebody else loaded equipment in a box onto a trailer
and told us it weighed about 600# ... As we were raising the box off the
trailer to transfer it into the truck, the guy in the truck saw it move and
decided now is a good time to pull the trailer out. 1600# on one of those
little cranes bolted to the utility box is not good The $20,000 box of
RADAR parts only dropped about 2 feet so I'm sure it was fine It was
going back to the depot for repair anyway.. You would think the company
could afford to hire people that know how to deal with loads like that and
have the proper equipment, but that's what ya get when the bean counters
rule.

reasons I am really happy I tried em out on company rigs first I
really
like the reciever hitch idea and plan to build one to adapt to the HF
cranes
but I have to put a reciever on the truck first.

T-shirts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 09:40:59 -0800, "Glenn"
wrote:

The simplest (next to borrowing the lift table) would be some pipe in the
pockets with a crossbar to attach a rope to and slide em down a ramp using
the rope to control the fall.

That works.