Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
troyswoodworking

Default woodcarvings from a digital photo all cnc machined

www.troyswoodworking.com one of a kind cnc machined woodcarving from a
photo painting artwork google images etc... extreme detail right down
to a freckle on your face.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"troyswoodworking" wrote in message
oups.com...
www.troyswoodworking.com one of a kind cnc machined woodcarving from a
photo painting artwork google images etc... extreme detail right down
to a freckle on your face.

I'd be interested in knowing how they change the pictures into G code.
Anybody know?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:50:47 GMT, "Dave Lyon"
wrote:

"troyswoodworking" wrote in message
roups.com...
www.troyswoodworking.com one of a kind cnc machined woodcarving from a
photo painting artwork google images etc... extreme detail right down
to a freckle on your face.

I'd be interested in knowing how they change the pictures into G code.
Anybody know?

I have software called BobArt that uses a digital file, such as a jpg,
and converts the raster file into a vector file. If it's just a
picture the software uses grayscale to determine depth. The max depth
is assigned by me, not the computer. The files can be manipulated
after conversion to a vector file. After I'm satisfied with the
picture the software converts the vector file into G code. There many
programs that do this. Google for raster to vector conversion.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ioan Barladeanu

Too bad it looks like crap from a graphic artist's POV. Works pretty
well for average people, though.
(pls. don't flame too much, I'm just drunk)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper

On 28 Feb 2006 19:56:53 -0800, "troyswoodworking"
wrote:

www.troyswoodworking.com one of a kind cnc machined woodcarving from a
photo painting artwork google images etc... extreme detail right down
to a freckle on your face.

There was a guy that got drove off that did stuff way better than
that. I saw it in operation and it was very cool and I volunteered not
to reveal the details.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

About a thousand years ago, I helped fix an early concept. It was taking a
sheet film and scanning it with a photomultiplier tube looking through a hole.

To put it short - the density determined the Z drive. The work was on a drum of sorts
that was turning on a lathe. The Z was running down on the compound line a 224 TPI
screw cut - but the Z was a electro-magnet driven into the black lacquer brass sheet.

I suspect something like that here - density is depth. A little crude, but not far off.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

www.troyswoodworking.com one of a kind cnc machined woodcarving from a
photo painting artwork google images etc... extreme detail right down
to a freckle on your face.

There was a guy that got drove off that did stuff way better than
that. I saw it in operation and it was very cool and I volunteered not
to reveal the details.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:37:11 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

About a thousand years ago, I helped fix an early concept. It was taking a
sheet film and scanning it with a photomultiplier tube looking through a hole.

Within the last decade, I was working with a buddy on Baird Gamma
Cameras which used beaucoup photomultiplier tubes to count the hits,
then wrote the data to nice 1/8" thick, 14" diameter hard drive discs.
This was an ancient, pre-nuclear magnetic resonance imaging system
with pre-DOS computerlike thingie attached. Switches on the front
panel of said computer allowed us to load a whole byte into memory.
I guess it beat an abacus, though...

Gator: The other white meat!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development