Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default MIG welding with DC power supplies

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:11:04 GMT, Ignoramus2596
wrote:

I have a few power supplies PP-1104C that are rated 100 A at 14 VDC
and 50 A at 24 VDC. Not quite sure yet, but I think that they are CC
power supplies. I would like to know if I could rig up one or even two
in parallel or in series (100A at 28V) with a mig gun like Ready
Welder and weld with that.

Some pictures of them are at

http://web.govliquidation.com/auctio...ctionId=767646

I figure that 200A at 14 VDC can weld just about anything.

Any thoughts?

You're probably going to want 22 to 28 volts. 100 amps is enough for
thin metal, maybe up to 1/8" with fluxcore. However, if they have
foldback current limiting they'll trip out when the wire touches the
work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

wrote:

I have a few power supplies PP-1104C that are rated 100 A at 14 VDC
and 50 A at 24 VDC. Not quite sure yet, but I think that they are CC
power supplies. I would like to know if I could rig up one or even two
in parallel or in series (100A at 28V) with a mig gun like Ready
Welder and weld with that.

Some pictures of them are at

http://web.govliquidation.com/auctio...ctionId=767646

I figure that 200A at 14 VDC can weld just about anything.

Any thoughts?

You're probably going to want 22 to 28 volts.

Thanks. If their DC output is isolated from ground, then, I hope, I
can put them in series instead and switch them to 100A, 14V
outputs. In series of two, that would give me 100A, 28 volts. As they
seem to be able to go beyond

100 amps is enough for thin metal, maybe up to 1/8" with fluxcore.
However, if they have foldback current limiting they'll trip out
when the wire touches the work.

That would be unfortunate.

The manual for them is he

http://www.tpub.com/content/elecequi...1-6130-246-35/

The schematic (that I printed out and have in front of me) is he

http://www.tpub.com/content/elecequi...0-246-35_8.htm

Here's what it says about regulation at

http://www.tpub.com/content/elecequi...0-246-35_9.htm

``The difference between the power supply output voltage and the
reference voltage con- trols the degree of saturation of magnetic
amplifier T2 to provide regulation of the power supp]y dc output
voltage. Any deviation of the power supply output voltage results in a
variation of the control current applied to the saturation control
winding of magnetic ampli- fier T2. This action controls the degree of
saturation of the magnetic amplifier core and changes the impedance of
the saturable reactor windings. This impedance change is presented to
the transformer T1 secondary winding volt- ages to control the voltage
applied to rectifiers CR1 and CR2 and to return the power supply
output voltage to the correct value.''

also:

``The reference circuit maintains a constant voltage to
the load as the load conditions vary. The reference circuit
consists of reactor L4, transformer T3, bridge rectifier CR3,
variable resistor R4, filter choke L3, and magnetic amplifier
T2. The input ac voltage is applied to transformer T3. During
each half-cycle of the ac voltage appearing across transformer T3
secon- dary, two diodes in bridge rectifier CR3 conduct in series and
produce a direct current (dc) pulsw in the output. During the
second half-cycle of the ac voltage that appears across
transformer T3 secondary, the two other diodes in bridge
rectifier CR3 conduct in series, and produce another dc
output pulse in the same direction. These dc pulses are then
applied as reference voltage to the saturation control winding
(ter- minals 5 and 6) of magnetic amplifier T2. Variable
resistor R4 adjusts the output of bridge rectifier CR3.''

So, it seems to my uneducated eye that they do not have foldback
current limiting, or really much current limiting at all. There is a
breaker CB1(A,B) though. (on the top left, on the AC power line side)

As long as you don't get any oscillation in the mag amp. it should work
fine. The unit has voltage regulation and also you can vary the output
voltage which is necessary to vary the heat of the welding process.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 06:23:29 GMT, Ignoramus20905
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:19:45 GMT, Ignoramus20905 wrote:
Don,

The complete manual is he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/PP-1104C_G--Power-Supply.pdf

and even better one is here

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/PP-1104C_...r-Supply-1.pdf

I'm not curious enough to download the manuals for your project.
Go for it!

Geez, I gave away a 100-amp wirefeed welder last week. Package
deal; the guy helped us a lot by buying, loading and hauling a ton
or more of estate stuff, wanted the welder as a throw-in. Done
and done! Win-win deal for all.

The spoils:

12" Craftsman lathe in tits condition with full set of changegears
20-ton Carolina hydraulic press
Atlas tire-changing machine
Rockwell drillpress
Ingersoll air compressor 5 HP 60 gallon 11.5 cfm
Steel table that probably weighed 400 lb, very sturdy
Railroad safe
50-ton railroad jack
assorted and sundry ammo -- guns were gone before the funeral
Other various miscellany, e.g. the wirefeed welder and other bits.

The surviving brother is thrilled to have the stuff disposed of and
will spend the proceeds for stuff he needs. Some days things work
out well for everyone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]

Wow, sounds like you got a lot of interesting stuff. Congrats. I am a
little surprised that the compressor is rated for 5 HP and only 11
CFM. Is that HP rating a real one?

I didn't "get" any of this stuff, I got *rid* of it, converted it to a
check for Mark. The guy that bought it has a polebarn, lots of
room for "stuff".

11CFM at 90 PSIG is a fairly common rating for a 5 HP "consumer"
single-stage compressor. The motor really is 5 HP -- 20 amps or so
at 220V.