Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff O'Malley

Default OT message about van transmission grenading at 70K mi.

Hi, folks. I was scanning messages for this group a day or two ago and
a part of a message concerning van transmissions crapping out at 70 K
miles stuck in my brain. Unfortunately, I did not save the message, so
I don't know who it was from or what the message subject was.
I am a handicapped person whose method of locomotion is a power
wheelchair. About 6 months ago I purchased a Dodge Caravan that has
been converted to a "ramp van" by a company named Braun. This vehicle
cost a blooming fortune, and I am very concerned that it may have one of
these 70 K transmissions.
The van is a 2005 model that had the Braun company lower the floor and
install the motorized ramp.
If any one has more information on the reliability or lack thereof of
these Dodge transmissions, please let me know and if possible where the
references were found.

This has me seriously concerned and I need more info.

Thanks. Jeff O'Malley
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:30:12 GMT, Jeff O'Malley wrote:
Hi, folks. I was scanning messages for this group a day or two ago and
a part of a message concerning van transmissions crapping out at 70 K
miles stuck in my brain. Unfortunately, I did not save the message, so
I don't know who it was from or what the message subject was.

Might have been me. My Chrysler explode-o-matic tranny did the
self-destruct thing just out of warranty.

I am a handicapped person whose method of locomotion is a power
wheelchair. About 6 months ago I purchased a Dodge Caravan that has
been converted to a "ramp van" by a company named Braun. This vehicle
cost a blooming fortune, and I am very concerned that it may have one of
these 70 K transmissions.

What model year? They've allegedly redesigned it again.

The van is a 2005 model that had the Braun company lower the floor and
install the motorized ramp.

If what I'm told is accurate, you're probably OK. I'll ask a friend of
mine who is a Chrysler mechanic for the real situation. If I don't post
a followup in the next day or three please remind me (my email works).

This has me seriously concerned and I need more info.

I think you can relax for now. Let me confirm. Allegedly the Mercedes
engineers had a go at the tranny and de-dodged it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Jeff O'Malley wrote:
Hi, folks. I was scanning messages for this group a day or two ago
and a part of a message concerning van transmissions crapping out at 70
K miles stuck in my brain. Unfortunately, I did not save the message,
so I don't know who it was from or what the message subject was.
I am a handicapped person whose method of locomotion is a power
wheelchair. About 6 months ago I purchased a Dodge Caravan that has
been converted to a "ramp van" by a company named Braun. This vehicle
cost a blooming fortune, and I am very concerned that it may have one of
these 70 K transmissions.
The van is a 2005 model that had the Braun company lower the floor
and install the motorized ramp.
If any one has more information on the reliability or lack thereof
of these Dodge transmissions, please let me know and if possible where
the references were found.

I have a 1998 Ram 3500B, and the transmission blew at about 110,000
I think. It cost $3100 to have it repaired, and it took them a week
to do the job. I did some web searching at the time, and this seems
to be a common problem. I'm sure disappointed to hear that they are
still having this kind of trouble on the 2005's!

I'm not sure these are the same transmisions, though. The Ram is
a rear-wheel drive, ours has the 5.9 L engine.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

Hi, folks. I was scanning messages for this group a day or two ago and
a part of a message concerning van transmissions crapping out at 70 K
miles stuck in my brain. Unfortunately, I did not save the message, so
I don't know who it was from or what the message subject was.
I am a handicapped person whose method of locomotion is a power
wheelchair. About 6 months ago I purchased a Dodge Caravan that has
been converted to a "ramp van" by a company named Braun. This vehicle
cost a blooming fortune, and I am very concerned that it may have one of
these 70 K transmissions.
The van is a 2005 model that had the Braun company lower the floor and
install the motorized ramp.
If any one has more information on the reliability or lack thereof of
these Dodge transmissions, please let me know and if possible where the
references were found.

Like Dave said, the earlier Dodge Caravans from the 80's and 90's
were the known culprits, the automatic had a fuse instead of a
dipstick. ;-) The new ones are /supposed/ to be better, but...

So the worst that happens is you save your spare change in the 'I'll
need major car repairs eventually' fund, and if and when it blows up
you get it rebuilt. They aren't more expensive than normal to have
done - roughly $1K - $1,500 with tax and tip.
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Hi,

I too am waiting to hear if they have fixed the problem.

From what I recall, Chrysler wanted a common transmission for their

minivans and cars. The 1990 minivan I had went through FIVE of the
transmissions before 100K miles were driven. Because of the extended
warranty I had purchased, the company had to pay for all of them. The
failure mode was that the transmission would lock in the low gear so
you could limp into town.

As has been mentioned, hopefully they have improved the transmission.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild Bill

A friend experienced a catastrophic failure not long ago. His 1996
Caravan SE that he bought used, ended up with the transmission case
having a huge hole in it.

The root cause was that the differential spider gear shaft ejected
itself.
This was a known design defect that was addressed by the manufacturer,
but this particular vehicle hadn't been modified/upgraded before he
purchased it. He wasn't aware of the design defect until the incident
happened.

This info I got from him.. automatic transmission type 41 LE/TE with
overdrive (4 speed), which is an A604 basic model. He wasn't able to
find a case core to buy, and he had a difficult time finding a used
replacement transmission, but did locate one, and he put a full
overhaul kit in it.

The incident may have been induced/enabled by the loads he was
attempting to haul. He had a temporary gig delivering those free
newspapers. His 1 ton diesel van was out of service for maintenance
problems, and he had tried to make the deliveries with the Caravan.

There are more websites than you'd imagine concerning specific
automotive problems and/or failures. Web searches for any particular
vehicle component will return lots of sites related to when/why
failures happen, and many repair procedures or options.

I personally wouldn't want a vehicle with a computer-controlled
transmission, or one that required a specially-formulated fluid for a
particular transmission model.

WB

Invest $6 in 2006 Stacy Home Ownership 0 January 11th 06 12:59 PM
money!!! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 3rd 05 09:46 PM
money!!! [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 3rd 05 06:02 PM
Postal Lottery: Turn $6 into $60,000 in 90 days, GUARANTEED Louis UK diy 0 October 1st 03 01:43 PM
This can make you some extra cash, check it out. Nick Burns Woodworking 1 July 15th 03 03:55 AM