Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ANIMAL

Default welding and steel

what is the reason that sauder dousn't stick to steel such as sauder
and a socket to create somthing... me and my friend where trying to
make somthing and we couldnt sauder a steel peg to a steel socket...
why is that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to ANIMAL :
what is the reason that sauder dousn't stick to steel such as sauder
and a socket to create somthing...

I *think* that you mean "solder", not "sauder". The spelling
makes a difference when you are attempting to find information via
Google or other such search engines, and your spelling is so far off
that I'm not even sure that it could offer a reasonable suggestion for a
corrected spelling.

Solder (soft solder, the lead-tin alloy) wets copper, brass and
tin-plated surfaces nicely.

It does *not* wet steel very well in most cases, without extreme
measures.

me and my friend where trying to
make somthing and we couldnt sauder a steel peg to a steel socket...
why is that?

Try "silver solder", or perhaps brazing. They will need
different tools, as a soldering iron or a propane torch will not get hot
enough, and the way silver solder is used is rather different from soft
solder. Spend some time searching for information on "silver solder"
and you might find enough information to get you started.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
digitalmaster

"ANIMAL" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is the reason that sauder dousn't stick to steel such as sauder
and a socket to create somthing... me and my friend where trying to
make somthing and we couldnt sauder a steel peg to a steel socket...
why is that?

to make solder stick to steel it must be extremely clean..like sandblasted
clean

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"ANIMAL" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is the reason that sauder dousn't stick to steel such as sauder
and a socket to create somthing... me and my friend where trying to
make somthing and we couldnt sauder a steel peg to a steel socket...
why is that?

You are not getting the steel hot enough. Heat the steel and let the steel
melt the solder, not the soldering iron.
Needs to be fluxed first also.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

ANIMAL wrote:

what is the reason that sauder dousn't stick to steel such as sauder
and a socket to create somthing... me and my friend where trying to
make somthing and we couldnt sauder a steel peg to a steel socket...
why is that?

Just What the He** is sauder??????
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

ANIMAL wrote:
what is the reason that sauder dousn't stick to steel such as sauder
and a socket to create somthing... me and my friend where trying to
make somthing and we couldnt sauder a steel peg to a steel socket...
why is that?

Assuming that this is not a troll question, solder does indeed stick to
steel. I'd recommend grinding the steel (or sanding) and then using a
liquid flux such as Harris Stay-Clean (hydrochloric acid and zinc, I
believe). You'll need a propane torch for the heat source. You mention
a steel socket. The chrome plating may be the problem. Keep in mind
that solder joints should be very "thin", in other words, a tight fit
between the two pieces to be soldered. If you're trying to fill a 1/8"
gap, soldering is probably not the process you need.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX