Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Hi, I'm Marie.

In article , Ed Huntress says...

Tell her we enjoyed poking fun at her mistake. And, if she wants to tell us
about our psyches, we're all ears. In fact, that's one of the stranger
things about us -- big ears.

Speak for yourself....

:^)

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:33:26 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On 3 Feb 2006 09:19:37 -0800, wrote:

Hi, I'm Marie, and I'm surfing Google groups because I know that the
people who join them will be interested in visiting my website, and
there's really no other way they would hear about it.

I am a Canadian writer and I have a website with some written works,
news feeds, biographical information and various other things I think
are just neat.

Please visit me:
http://www.mariealighieri.com

Thanks, Marie.

Got any naked pictures of yourself?

Gunner

Now Marie has been introduced to the entire Welcoming Committee. Think
she'll stay? d8-)

If she does..it would indicate she is a tough broad..and it might be
good to have one around.

Now there is tough..and there is smart.....

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
snip
I gave Marie a gentle tweak. [...]

Jeez, Ed, that could appear incriminating if someone were to take it
out of context. Not that anyone would.

You're really on a roll in this thread. Maybe you should invite
Marie to stick around. It'd take some of the pressure off Gunner and
maybe some a that there culture would rub off on the rest of us.

Well, the culture part is easy. When someone does a deconstruction or other
post-modernist critique of literature, you can count on their concluduing
two things: First, the author did not say what he thinks he said. Second, if
the author is a white male, the true meaning of the writing involves
suppression of minorities and/or women.

It's easy if you keep those two things in mind.

Congratulations! You have just qualified for a Ph.D. in Contemporary
Literary Analysis, and possibly an J.D.

Either requires an ability to conclude a writer did not write what he
wrote, but what the critic thinks he wrote, and certainly did not write
what he meant, but what the critic thinks he must have meant.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"John Husvar" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Ha! Of course, we're not really being fair, but this is such a strange and
arcane field that it's easy to take pot-shots at it.

In any case, it's not one for this NG. There is OT, and there is
Off-The-Planet. This one is OTP.

If you happen to be into it, though, sometime when you're Googling, go to
Google Book Search and type in "Ed Huntress," in quotes. There you'll see a
note from the author of _Koolaids: The Art of War_, in which he's a bit
over-gracious in crediting me with "teaching him what good writing is." g
In fact, what I tried to do was to steer him away from bad post-modernism
and towards some very good post-modernism. So then he wrote a wildly
post-modernist book, which Amy Tan, among others, thought was brilliant but
which I can hardly follow. d8-)

Oh, well.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:33:26 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yeah, it's always good to have one or two tough ones around. Three is too
much; they start ganging-up.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

In fact, that's one of the stranger
things about us -- big ears.

Judging from Cabin Fever, I would say we lean towards glasses and
graying facial hair. Besides scintllating wit and studliness, of course.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"axolotl" wrote in message

In fact, that's one of the stranger
things about us -- big ears.

Judging from Cabin Fever, I would say we lean towards glasses and
graying facial hair. Besides scintllating wit and studliness, of course.

Kevin Gallimore

No doubt. Do you ever get the feeling we're part of a dying breed? As
machining hobbyists, that is.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"axolotl" wrote in message

In fact, that's one of the stranger
things about us -- big ears.

Judging from Cabin Fever, I would say we lean towards glasses and
graying facial hair. Besides scintllating wit and studliness, of course.

Kevin Gallimore

No doubt. Do you ever get the feeling we're part of a dying breed? As
machining hobbyists, that is.

--
Ed Huntress

Hobbyists? Hardly. I'm one of the old breed machinists, taught manual
machines and used nothing else, ever. Can't get no respect. The breed
isn't dying, it's dead, apparently.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

May or may not be related to your point, but many excellent writers have
strangely little to say.
They just say it very well, often at length.
Or, they have a lot of incorrect things to say, and say them very well,
always at length.
Einstein said something to the effect that all good books are short books,
and bull**** books are quite long.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Hobbyists? Hardly. I'm one of the old breed machinists, taught manual
machines and used nothing else, ever. Can't get no respect. The breed
isn't dying, it's dead, apparently.

Yet again, speak for yourself - Ed's largest anatomical features may
well be his ears, but I'm still kicking and scrambling my way into
work each morning.

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:29:58 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

Hobbyists? Hardly. I'm one of the old breed machinists, taught manual
machines and used nothing else, ever. Can't get no respect. The breed
isn't dying, it's dead, apparently.

Dead?
QUICK, Harold! Run into the bathroom, turn on the light, and tell us
what color your skin is.
(No, if it's a cold and sickly gray, don't tell us.

--

DON'T VOTE. IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Ha! Of course, we're not really being fair, but this is such a strange and
arcane field that it's easy to take pot-shots at it.

In any case, it's not one for this NG. There is OT, and there is
Off-The-Planet. This one is OTP.

Yes, I guess so!

Just a couple of comments and I suppose I'd best get back to the right
planet.

If you happen to be into it, though, sometime when you're Googling, go to
Google Book Search and type in "Ed Huntress," in quotes. There you'll see a
note from the author of _Koolaids: The Art of War_, in which he's a bit
over-gracious in crediting me with "teaching him what good writing is." g
In fact, what I tried to do was to steer him away from bad post-modernism
and towards some very good post-modernism. So then he wrote a wildly
post-modernist book, which Amy Tan, among others, thought was brilliant but
which I can hardly follow. d8-)

Oh, well.

Thanks for the reference!

Oy! I think I actually understood a bit of the excerpts. Guess I'm going
to have to either buy or borrow a copy of this one.

Fella seems to be the post-modernist of post-modernists! The excerpts of
his writing portray post-modernist angst in an unusually easily read and
airy style. It'll be fun to see if the first impression is accurate.

sigh the natural result of spending way too much time in Art History
with a prof who loved having his students try to identify artists' world
views from their art.

Permanent brain warpage.

I think i'll go back to learning how to operate my mini mill: That
produces a Zen-like absorption that's actually rather pleasant.

Hmmmmm- Zen and the Art of Learning Machining at a Very Late Date?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Rabih is a polymath genius who doesn't take himself seriously. A self-taught
artist, he had a one-man show of his paintings at the Tate Museum in London.
He's also a self-taught writer. He has many degrees from around the world,
but his Master's is an MBA. g

Your impression is accurate. He is a brilliant writer; Amy Tan is on the
mark. The trouble I had with _Koolaids_ is that it's a series of vignettes,
and probably should have been broken up into small collections that tie
together.

He was much influenced by the writing of Robert Coover, which is one of the
sources I introduced him to. If you want to see some post-modernist
(actually, metafiction) writing that anybody can read and really enjoy, try
Coover's _A Night at the Movies_. Start with the last chapter, which is a
pornographic send-up of "Casablanca." It is hilarious.

Rabih also is the only person I know whose family home, in Lebanon, was
flattened by a 16-inch shell from the Battleship New Jersey. But that's
another story.

And he has HIV. He's writing against time.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Hobbyists? Hardly. I'm one of the old breed machinists, taught manual
machines and used nothing else, ever. Can't get no respect. The breed
isn't dying, it's dead, apparently.

Yet again, speak for yourself - Ed's largest anatomical features may
well be his ears, but I'm still kicking and scrambling my way into
work each morning.

:^)

Jim

Chuckle!

You call visiting that luxury resort work? :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:29:58 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

Hobbyists? Hardly. I'm one of the old breed machinists, taught manual
machines and used nothing else, ever. Can't get no respect. The breed
isn't dying, it's dead, apparently.

Dead?
QUICK, Harold! Run into the bathroom, turn on the light, and tell us
what color your skin is.
(No, if it's a cold and sickly gray, don't tell us.

A man lives in his machine shop and you say "run into the bathroom", etc.,
etc., etc.,

Various shades of gray-----especially the hair. Normal sized ears,
though, but the nose! Wish I had that sucker filled with nickels.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Yet again, speak for yourself - Ed's largest anatomical features may
well be his ears, but I'm still kicking and scrambling my way into
work each morning.

You call visiting that luxury resort work? :-)

Keeps me off the street and out of the house, anyhow.

Jim

please reply to: