Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Converting a Lantern from bulb to LED

I have a number of bulb lanterns (6v - 4 D cells) that I would like to
convert from bulbs to LEDs.

Is there a convenient LED conversion adapter available for this type of
conversion?

If not, what would you recommend for the suitable LEDs and driving
circuitry.

Presently the lanterns are able to be dimmed by an external dimming
control which is a feature I would like to retain.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to offer.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a number of bulb lanterns (6v - 4 D cells) that I would like to
convert from bulbs to LEDs.

Is there a convenient LED conversion adapter available for this type of
conversion?

If not, what would you recommend for the suitable LEDs and driving
circuitry.

Presently the lanterns are able to be dimmed by an external dimming
control which is a feature I would like to retain.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to offer.

TMT

I saw one hanging on the wall at Wally World last week.

This one was for Mini-Mag Light - $10

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On 31 Jan 2006 20:31:30 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I have a number of bulb lanterns (6v - 4 D cells) that I would like to
convert from bulbs to LEDs.

Is there a convenient LED conversion adapter available for this type of
conversion?

If not, what would you recommend for the suitable LEDs and driving
circuitry.

Presently the lanterns are able to be dimmed by an external dimming
control which is a feature I would like to retain.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to offer.

TMT

I think you would find that a single 3-watt Luxeon would work most
like what you're used to. It would compare favorably with the
incandescant bulb performance.

Check out Ever-LED at
http://www.theledlight.com/ledbulbs.html

If you are doing several and have some appetite for screwing around,
you can do it for considerably less money in total. Circuit
boards would cost somewhere between $5 and $7.50 each in lots of 10,
3 watt Luxeons are about $5 each, and the remaining parts would
probably be under $10 per light. You'd have to do a little machining
and futzing around. I don't have boards for sale, but I wouldn't
mind designing, doing the layout and ordering some boards in exchange
for a couple of boards. In a 6-volt light I'd use a synch buck
regulator -- constant brightness throughout battery life. These can
be dimmed with PWM that can be easily produced in a variety of ways
for a couple of bux. Email me offline if you'd like to pursue this.
I love playing with flashlights!

An alternative is to just use a whole bunch of "high brightness" white
LED's. It would take 40 or 50 of them to be comparable to a 3-watt
Luxeon in brightness, and it won't have nearly as good a beam or
"throw".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Martes

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a number of bulb lanterns (6v - 4 D cells) that I would like to
convert from bulbs to LEDs.

Is there a convenient LED conversion adapter available for this type of
conversion?

If not, what would you recommend for the suitable LEDs and driving
circuitry.

Presently the lanterns are able to be dimmed by an external dimming
control which is a feature I would like to retain.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to offer.

TMT

Hi T

I have a 6 volt lantern that Don Foreman helped me convert to LED. It is
sensational. It's spot is better columated than the original incondescent,
and brighter.
I can tell you what we did, but, if you can get Don's attention you can
get the best information available.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Ah! That's a 1-watt Luxeon. I think the OP might like a 3-watt
better in a 4-Dcell lantern. I would also go with a Lambertian
highdome Luxeon rather than the sideshooter the EverLed uses. The
sideshooters are fragile, and they don't produce as uniform a beam
unless a faceted reflector is used.

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:11:21 -0600, "R. O'Brian" wrote:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...x_ledbulbs.htm

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a number of bulb lanterns (6v - 4 D cells) that I would like to
convert from bulbs to LEDs.

Is there a convenient LED conversion adapter available for this type of
conversion?

If not, what would you recommend for the suitable LEDs and driving
circuitry.

Presently the lanterns are able to be dimmed by an external dimming
control which is a feature I would like to retain.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to offer.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a number of bulb lanterns (6v - 4 D cells) that I would like to
convert from bulbs to LEDs.

Is there a convenient LED conversion adapter available for this type of
conversion?

If not, what would you recommend for the suitable LEDs and driving
circuitry.

Presently the lanterns are able to be dimmed by an external dimming
control which is a feature I would like to retain.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to offer.

TMT

Bulletin: Luxeon today introduced the K2 Luxeon emitter, a new
product. 160 lumens at 1500 mA. Definitely worth considering for
a 6-volt lantern. I don't have any price info yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Don,

Thanx for the link to the lite site! It sheds cool new light on the
subject.

Bob Swinney

OT - light bulb JohnM Metalworking 0 August 24th 05 07:33 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM