Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default BP J-head motor question

I have a couple of J-heads. Recently, I took the motor off one and tried it on
the other (to see how quiet the other one ran with a known-good motor). Then I
put it back onto the head it came from, the one on my mill. Problem now is, I
can't seem to get the clamping screws adjusted so that they stay put when I
loosen/tighten the levers to change belt speeds. They worked fine beforehand,
and I didn't change any of the hardware. I must be doing something wrong, but I
can't figure out what. I don't want to have to use two hands to do this. Anyone?

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:26:50 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I have a couple of J-heads. Recently, I took the motor off one and tried it on
the other (to see how quiet the other one ran with a known-good motor). Then I
put it back onto the head it came from, the one on my mill. Problem now is, I
can't seem to get the clamping screws adjusted so that they stay put when I
loosen/tighten the levers to change belt speeds. They worked fine beforehand,
and I didn't change any of the hardware. I must be doing something wrong, but I
can't figure out what. I don't want to have to use two hands to do this. Anyone?

GWE

Hey Grant,

Mine's kind of a beater, and the little handle was missing when I got
it. So I made one that is probably slightly longer than the original
was. I locks just fine. I have seen some with a "crooked" handle
though, to allow more than the easy approx 90 degree swing movement on
mine. And I seem to recall a bit of fiddling to get the adjustment
just right so that it both unblocked and locked in that 90 degrees of
motion.

Want a pix of mine and the washers??

Take care,

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

You might laugh at mine but I'm proud of my lock bolt. Try to use some very
flat and large washers. Might even weld one to the nut and machine it true.
Any slight deviation from true flat with the surface will make for extra
torque to be applied. I wanted chrome handles on all my machines. One day at
a yard sale I found a big bucket of commercial toilet flushing apparatus. I
laughed about it, then I realized it had a lot of chrome handles in there.
Needless to say I picked it up cheap and now everything has a chrome flush
handle. Good part is, when the machine don't work just right you can jiggle
the handle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Does it flush the coolant too?

Probably would but I couldn't get it to work with 3 phase.
Did notice if you hold the handle to long you'll have an over-whelming urge
to go to the bathroom.

Cleaning VCR - need help and a diagram Mike Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 04 03:54 PM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Replace vcr video head William Sangismoch Electronics Repair 10 October 1st 03 05:05 PM
Shower head bracket? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 August 4th 03 10:15 PM