Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Jog on a lathe

xray wrote:

I bought a VFD and a 3-phase motor to update my semi-crappy lathe.

The VFD supports a jog function and the way I'm going to use it is to
have a switch for JOG on the control panel and then (in JOG mode) the
Run switch moves the motor at a very slow rate until the Run switch is
released.

I never saw a lathe that had a Jog feature. How do they typically work?
Do you press the Jog button and it moves, or is it more like in mine?

Jog seems useful. Never having seen it, I would guess a Jog button with
"move while pressed" would be the way it should work, but can't see any
way to make that happen with the capabilities of my VFD.

This is how I did it on my Sheldon R15 lathe. It has a number of gearboxes
that don't always engage right where the machine is sitting. The jog button
makes my Tosvert VFD run forward at 5 Hz, and it just creeps until the
gear of clutch dog drops in.

The combined function on yours might be dangerous. If you think the jog
switch
is on, and hit the run button expecting very slow movement, but it goes to
normal speed instead, somthing, or you, might get hurt.

Jon