Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default How do you measure runout on drill press?

I have a quill play in my Frox Shop 17" drill press.
When rotating with no load the runout is just 0.002" but if you move chuck with your
hands back and forth test indicator shows 0.030 runout. Woodstock Int. (manufacturer of
all Fox Shop tools) warranty guy is saying that I am not suppose to try to move chuck
while measuring runout. "The right way" to measure runout is to do it while drill runs
on lowest speed with no load.

Quill set screw is already tighten to the point when I can hardly move spindle up/down

BTW I just tied to drill 3/8 hole in 1/4 thick mild steel and can see that when drill
bit is half way through "hole" is somewhat triangular. After the hole is through it
looks pretty round with rough walls. Is it suppose to be like that or it's because of
runout?

Thanks,
Alex