Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alternative to Overmolding?

Hello all,

I am lead development designer for a new cosmetics packaging (compacts,
bottles lipsticks etc)for a very high profile fashion house. The core
concept of the the look we have been directed to acheive is a clear
acrylic shell with a colored inner wall that shows through from the
inside. To acheive this effect, the best way we know is to overmold the
two layers and so all design direction for tooling has been to this
end. However, the tooling costs that we are recieving from our
candidate manufacturers are a little prohibitive. Therefore, I would
very much appreciate some input into alternative processes to achaive
the colored inner wall effect.

So far, we have considered: spraying - ruled out because hard to
control

Separate moldings then inserted: ruled out because fused effect of two
materials against each as seen from outside can not be achieve due to
reflection from inside surface of acrylic- Any methods to reduce
reflection?

insert molding: a form of overmolding, we will proably use in some
cases because cheaper methodology but still bond between surfaces can
lack integrity

Cubic transfer: won't work because concave area is to be coloured

Our first year production requirements will be @ 100,000 pieces.

Very much appreciate any input,

Scorsi

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote in message
oups.com...

Very much appreciate any input,

Scorsi

Scorsi, I hope you've also posted this message on alt.machines.cnc, where
there are some very knowledgable moldmakers.

You may also want to look into the information that Hoescht makes available
for sequential molding of electrical components. They discuss methods for
layering conductive- and non-conductive plastics. I would guess that the
problems are similar.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

wrote:
[...]

You haven't really provided sufficient information but hot stamping, pad
printing or in-molding a vacuum formed sheet might work.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I am lead development designer for a new cosmetics packaging (compacts,
bottles lipsticks etc)for a very high profile fashion house. The core
concept of the the look we have been directed to acheive is a clear
acrylic shell with a colored inner wall that shows through from the
inside. To acheive this effect, the best way we know is to overmold the
two layers and so all design direction for tooling has been to this
end. However, the tooling costs that we are recieving from our
candidate manufacturers are a little prohibitive. Therefore, I would
very much appreciate some input into alternative processes to achaive
the colored inner wall effect.

We have built some molds for a company where we inserted a plastic graphic
into the mold, then filled the mold.

Email me if you want some more detail.

Should we end the mortgage interest deduction? Steve Home Ownership 38 November 20th 05 12:59 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 3 November 17th 05 11:37 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 0 September 17th 05 11:42 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 0 September 17th 05 11:42 PM
Alternative Septic Systems [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 17th 05 10:54 PM