Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default Question about start capacitors

I would assume 2 seconds would be ok. I know when I was making my RPC
i had some of the start caps energized for a lot longer until the
motor spun up, but don;t take my word for it.. I have been using one
RPC aout 2 years now that takes a good 12 -15 seconds to get up to
self sustaining speeds when its coldl out or its been setting for a
couple of weeks and its been working just fine.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:13:15 GMT, Ignoramus5478
wrote:
Let's say that I am using a start capacitor (like the ones sold for AC
units) with a time delay relay. It is safe for the capacitors to set
the TDR to turn them off after, say, 2 seconds? Or is 2 seconds too
much? Just how long can they remain under power before they need to be
turned off.

\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

12 seconds is a long time. I have a push button to start my motor. I push
the mag switch with while I hold the push button for the cap, once the RPC
is running I let go of the push switch. I think its about 1/2 second to
start it up.

wrote:
Let's say that I am using a start capacitor (like the ones sold for AC
units) with a time delay relay. It is safe for the capacitors to set
the TDR to turn them off after, say, 2 seconds? Or is 2 seconds too
much? Just how long can they remain under power before they need to be
turned off.

\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tim

I think what you want is a hard start kit . Its basicly a start cap
with a potential relay built in.
When the motor reaches speed the built in relay cuts the start cap off
.. They only cost $35
Go to this link and type in ( hard start kit) and it will show you a
picture.
http://www.grainger.com/production/i...ial-supply.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

POtentail relays are the way to go, but you have to match them to the
application. There was a RPC listed online a long while back and it
gave various numbers for the potentail relays.......it used. One was a
Grainger label brand, and it sucked bigtime at doing what it was
supposed to do........however the other made by MARS worked just
fine...only difference was the sensed voltage between the two but they
were listed on line and in vendors books as being interchangeable....I
know when I built my RPC i had to playw ith a few different brands all
listed a compatibe and like items, but only the MARS brand seemed to
do what it was supposed to do when it was supposed to do it.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:27:59 GMT, Ignoramus22325
wrote:
Looks extremely nice. I quite possibly will buy one. Thank you!

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....