Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

Default Electrical problems at home related to RPC

"Ignoramus18851" wrote in message
There are some intermittent problems at home related to me starting my
RPC. It is beginning to affect my marriagee.

1. A TV once turned off

2. At another time, our kitchen oven, where me and my son placed some
cookies to bake, went crazy and went into a cleaning mode and burned
the cookies.

I suspect that it is so because the main 10 HP motor takes a
comparatively long time (1-2 seconds) to spin up, and draws about 120
amps during this time.

I am considering adding some capacitance to increase its starting
speed, but would like to double check if this is a step in the right
direction. I would turn these caps off after the motor comes up to
speed.

thanks

Additional starting capacitance would probably help. You might also try
power factor correction capacitors directly across the motor windings
connected to the single phase supply.

Don Young