Nick

Default Pricing Electrical Work On Home

Hi: My son is thinking about buying an older home and remodeling it
as he goes along except for the electrical work. Currently there is a
circuit breaker protected 100 amp service that is newer along with
some knob and tube wiring. It is a 3 story home . What is the going
price for rewiring a house like this to the same receptacles and
switches with new wiring. What does an electrician charge on average?
This is for Eastern Pa. by the way and I do know job size and other
variables play into pricing. I am looking for a ballpark figure like
how much per receptacle etc. Nick
rudy

The number of receptacles really doesn't have much to do with it. What will
take the time is running the wire. Does your son want the wiring run inside
the walls, or would something like Wiremold surface raceways be acceptable?
Running wire inside the walls is very time and labor intensive, unless you
are doing a gut renovation and removing all of the plaster.
Good Luck
rudy

"Nick" wrote in message
Hi: My son is thinking about buying an older home and remodeling it
as he goes along except for the electrical work. Currently there is a
circuit breaker protected 100 amp service that is newer along with
some knob and tube wiring. It is a 3 story home . What is the going
price for rewiring a house like this to the same receptacles and
switches with new wiring. What does an electrician charge on average?
This is for Eastern Pa. by the way and I do know job size and other
variables play into pricing. I am looking for a ballpark figure like
how much per receptacle etc. Nick

Bill

I would start with a 200 amp service and a 40 slot breaker panel. That
would probably be a few thousand. The 40 slot panel will give you all the
room for breakers you will ever need. And not much more $$ than a 20 slot
panel. If replacing the main panel, you can get a whole house surge
protector as well.

Then get estimates to rewire several rooms at a time as money permits.
Start with the kitchen as many energy hogs are located there.

"Nick" wrote in message
Hi: My son is thinking about buying an older home and remodeling it
as he goes along except for the electrical work. Currently there is a
circuit breaker protected 100 amp service that is newer along with
some knob and tube wiring. It is a 3 story home . What is the going
price for rewiring a house like this to the same receptacles and
switches with new wiring. What does an electrician charge on average?
This is for Eastern Pa. by the way and I do know job size and other
variables play into pricing. I am looking for a ballpark figure like
how much per receptacle etc. Nick

Jeepnstein

I'm having a two story brick, approximately 4,000 sq feet of living space,
done right now. We are having it brought as close to the letter of the NEC
as possible, the local inspector said he would take into account the
realities of re-wiring an old house. The inspector has already given us the
OK to deviate from the NEC on the location and number of some outlets.
Brick houses are a bear to do properly.

Our job is going to cost $8,000.00. This is for a new 200 amp service, plus
enough outlets and lighting to comply with today's standards. It's alot of
hard and dirty work to pull the wire even with me doing the bulk of the
demolition and cleanup for the electrician. I'm working on getting a chase
built from the basement to the attic this week in anticipation of wire being
pulled in the next couple of days. The attic has been totally gutted down
to the bare joists, no insulation. I may go as far as cutting the holes in
the downstairs ceilings for him to run wire to some locations in the
upstairs bedrooms. The running joke between the electrican and myself is
the old thing about "Your time and my money". I could have paid less, but
you get what you pay for and this job will pass on the first inspection.
I'm responsible for refinishing the walls and ceilings after the rough
inspection is complete.

I would suggest having the wiring done before anything else. The chaos and
destruction will be much easier to handle if it is done before it becomes
his home. Be sure to have him get a dumpster before he starts.

I'm located in Southeastern Ohio. The trades make a decent wage here but I
would assume that the prevailing wage in your area would be a bit higher.

Jim

"Nick" wrote in message
Hi: My son is thinking about buying an older home and remodeling it
as he goes along except for the electrical work. Currently there is a
circuit breaker protected 100 amp service that is newer along with
some knob and tube wiring. It is a 3 story home . What is the going
price for rewiring a house like this to the same receptacles and
switches with new wiring. What does an electrician charge on average?
This is for Eastern Pa. by the way and I do know job size and other
variables play into pricing. I am looking for a ballpark figure like
how much per receptacle etc. Nick

Gary Tait

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:11:15 -0400, "Jeepnstein"
wrote:

[...]

If there is major carpentry/masonry/hvac, have that done before
electrical.

I'm located in Southeastern Ohio. The trades make a decent wage here but I
would assume that the prevailing wage in your area would be a bit higher.

Jim

"Nick" wrote in message
.. .
Hi: My son is thinking about buying an older home and remodeling it
as he goes along except for the electrical work. Currently there is a
circuit breaker protected 100 amp service that is newer along with
some knob and tube wiring. It is a 3 story home . What is the going
price for rewiring a house like this to the same receptacles and
switches with new wiring. What does an electrician charge on average?
This is for Eastern Pa. by the way and I do know job size and other
variables play into pricing. I am looking for a ballpark figure like
how much per receptacle etc. Nick

Jeepnstein

"Gary Tait" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:11:15 -0400, "Jeepnstein"
wrote:

Snipped...

I would suggest having the wiring done before anything else. The chaos

and
destruction will be much easier to handle if it is done before it becomes
his home. Be sure to have him get a dumpster before he starts.

If there is major carpentry/masonry/hvac, have that done before
electrical.

Right you are. I forgot to mention the AC and insulation we are also adding
at the same time. The beauty of this "new" house is that it has no
structural problems at all. It was built by people with Old Money in about
1910 and was meant to last. Except for a couple of rooms that got the
woodwork painted, an added bathroom that has to go, and windows in need of
overhauls, it is is fantastic shape. With the exception of the electrical
system, all repairs and updates were done in a workmanlike manner with an
eye toward preserving the look and feel of the original house. I'm kind of
spoiled by working on this one.

Jim