Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Follow up: rusty MIG wire

I recently posted about solving a problem of ****ty MIG welds by
changing the wire, which had developed some rust.

In an attempt to prevent the new wire from rusting, I have made a
modification to my MIG. The mod was to build a little sheet metal
enclosure for the spool and put some silica gel in it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...e_keep_dry.jpg

The wire feeds out of it's box through a slot with two rubber flaps as a
seal. The box is sealed with RTV on the back and the MIG cover/door has
foam weather stripping that seals the front. The silica gel is in a
pouch, in the plastic chamber in the upper left corner.

I'll let you know how it works.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
its me

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I recently posted about solving a problem of ****ty MIG welds by changing
the wire, which had developed some rust.

In an attempt to prevent the new wire from rusting, I have made a
modification to my MIG. The mod was to build a little sheet metal
enclosure for the spool and put some silica gel in it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...e_keep_dry.jpg

The wire feeds out of it's box through a slot with two rubber flaps as a
seal. The box is sealed with RTV on the back and the MIG cover/door has
foam weather stripping that seals the front. The silica gel is in a
pouch, in the plastic chamber in the upper left corner.

I'll let you know how it works.

Bob

That looks like the inside of my SP100 Lincoln.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I recently posted about solving a problem of ****ty MIG welds by
changing the wire, which had developed some rust.

In an attempt to prevent the new wire from rusting, I have made a
modification to my MIG. The mod was to build a little sheet metal
enclosure for the spool and put some silica gel in it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...e_keep_dry.jpg

The wire feeds out of it's box through a slot with two rubber flaps as a
seal. The box is sealed with RTV on the back and the MIG cover/door has
foam weather stripping that seals the front. The silica gel is in a
pouch, in the plastic chamber in the upper left corner.

I'll let you know how it works.

Bob

Neat. I "fixed" my Controlled Systems by replacing the felt "cleaner" pad with
a longer device made up of three clipped pads - one of felt, one of plastic pot
scrubber material, and one of steel wool. That's worked great to keep grease and
rust out for years. That and routine maintenance of course.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I recently posted about solving a problem of ****ty MIG welds by changing
the wire, which had developed some rust.

In an attempt to prevent the new wire from rusting, I have made a
modification to my MIG. The mod was to build a little sheet metal
enclosure for the spool and put some silica gel in it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...e_keep_dry.jpg

The wire feeds out of it's box through a slot with two rubber flaps as a
seal. The box is sealed with RTV on the back and the MIG cover/door has
foam weather stripping that seals the front. The silica gel is in a
pouch, in the plastic chamber in the upper left corner.

I'll let you know how it works.

Bob

Interesting concept I wonder if this might be a good application for
camphor? I know it is a trick a lot of folk use in their tool boxes to keep
rust off measuring equipment.
Just a thought
Glenn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Hmmmm...not sure of the clime where you hang, but up here in Soggy,
Gloomy Seattle (read: stay away, it rains all year long) I have never
had a problem with steel mig wire corroding.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I recently posted about solving a problem of ****ty MIG welds by
changing the wire, which had developed some rust.

In an attempt to prevent the new wire from rusting, I have made a
modification to my MIG. The mod was to build a little sheet metal
enclosure for the spool and put some silica gel in it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...e_keep_dry.jpg

The wire feeds out of it's box through a slot with two rubber flaps as a
seal. The box is sealed with RTV on the back and the MIG cover/door has
foam weather stripping that seals the front. The silica gel is in a
pouch, in the plastic chamber in the upper left corner.

I'll let you know how it works.

Bob

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

its me wrote:
That looks like the inside of my SP100 Lincoln.

It should - it's a SP135, which is the same except for a higher duty
cycle, I think. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Mark Jones wrote:
I "fixed" my Controlled Systems [with] three clipped pads - one of felt, one of plastic pot
scrubber material, and one of steel wool. ...

That's my Plan B. I was skeptical that the rust I had on the problem
spool would be cleaned off well enough, so I went for prevention. We'll
see. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Glenn wrote:

... I wonder if this might be a good application for
camphor? ...

I considered using camphor, but I'm familiar with silica gel and I have
a gallon of it. I'd be interested in hearing the pro's and con's of
each. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

JR North wrote:

Hmmmm...not sure of the clime where you hang, but up here in Soggy,
Gloomy Seattle ... I have never
had a problem with steel mig wire corroding.

NW of Boston. I have to run a dehumidifier in the shop in summer, but
not too bad. The MIG wire rusted because it was in there a looooooong
time. I can't say exactly, but my first 2 lb spool lasted 2 *years*. I
often have projects that only take a few seconds of arc time.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
JR North wrote:

Hmmmm...not sure of the clime where you hang, but up here in Soggy,
Gloomy Seattle ... I have never had a problem with steel mig wire
corroding.

NW of Boston. I have to run a dehumidifier in the shop in summer, but
not too bad. The MIG wire rusted because it was in there a looooooong
time. I can't say exactly, but my first 2 lb spool lasted 2 *years*. I
often have projects that only take a few seconds of arc time.

Bob

Could the nearby sal****er (or salt used to treat icy roads) be getting at your
spools somehow? That would really hasten the corrosion.

For rust to occur it requires both oxygen and water vapor to be present.
Without both rusting is impossible. Another idea might be to spray a light oil
onto the spool, and remove it before the feed mechanism. Better than oil might
be a spray wax, such as is used on motorcycle chains. Removal would be harder
however.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Marc Patrick Roy

Had the same problem here in Montreal, Canada on a spool that wasn't used
but loaded for 12 months.

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
JR North wrote:

[...]

Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
Bond all grounds together? Minnie Bannister Home Repair 23 March 16th 04 06:31 PM
automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM