Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Default Follow up: rusty MIG wire

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I recently posted about solving a problem of ****ty MIG welds by
changing the wire, which had developed some rust.

In an attempt to prevent the new wire from rusting, I have made a
modification to my MIG. The mod was to build a little sheet metal
enclosure for the spool and put some silica gel in it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...e_keep_dry.jpg

The wire feeds out of it's box through a slot with two rubber flaps as a
seal. The box is sealed with RTV on the back and the MIG cover/door has
foam weather stripping that seals the front. The silica gel is in a
pouch, in the plastic chamber in the upper left corner.

I'll let you know how it works.

Bob

Neat. I "fixed" my Controlled Systems by replacing the felt "cleaner" pad with
a longer device made up of three clipped pads - one of felt, one of plastic pot
scrubber material, and one of steel wool. That's worked great to keep grease and
rust out for years. That and routine maintenance of course.