Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Foster Lathes?

Found a $200 lathe in the Bakersfield Craigslist...one Ive never seen
before. Rather interesting machine. Contacted the owner..he sent me
more pictures..lable says it was manufactured by Foster. Overhead
drive..tiny little tailstock..very wide cross slide. Looks top heavy
as hell

Owners tag said it was owened by the Fruhoff Co...which moved out of
Bakersfield in the mid 80s.

Anyone heard of Foster?

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:26:51 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Found a $200 lathe in the Bakersfield Craigslist...one Ive never seen
before. Rather interesting machine. Contacted the owner..he sent me
more pictures..lable says it was manufactured by Foster. Overhead
drive..tiny little tailstock..very wide cross slide. Looks top heavy
as hell

Owners tag said it was owened by the Fruhoff Co...which moved out of
Bakersfield in the mid 80s.

Anyone heard of Foster?

Gunner

Btw...thats a Foster #5

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

It's Australian for "lathe".

"Gunner" wrote in message

Anyone heard of Foster?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

**** I thought it was Australian for Beer?? Either way sounds good to me.
"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
It's Australian for "lathe".

"Gunner" wrote in message

Anyone heard of Foster?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
It's Australian for "lathe".

Foster got shot in washington.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

I have a Foster #5. It is a turret lathe. I have had it for 5 years or
so and haven't installed it yet. Just now finishing the shop where it
will live.
From your description of the tailstock, it sounds as though some
intermediate owner tried to convert it to a "regular" lathe. I thought
of this, too, but decided to keep it as a turret lathe and to tool it up
as such to some degree. I think I have some pix, if you are interested.

The company went through a couple of levels of buy outs. Afew years
ago I could have told you the family tree, but for all intents and
purposes, the company is gone.
I don't know how much other good I can be to you on this, but feel
free to email me off-list at

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:10:02 -0600, spaco
wrote:

I have a Foster #5. It is a turret lathe. I have had it for 5 years or
so and haven't installed it yet. Just now finishing the shop where it
will live.
From your description of the tailstock, it sounds as though some
intermediate owner tried to convert it to a "regular" lathe. I thought
of this, too, but decided to keep it as a turret lathe and to tool it up
as such to some degree. I think I have some pix, if you are interested.

The company went through a couple of levels of buy outs. Afew years
ago I could have told you the family tree, but for all intents and
purposes, the company is gone.
I don't know how much other good I can be to you on this, but feel
free to email me off-list at

Pete Stanaitis

Thanks Pete. Ill forward you the pictures

Gunner

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Dalton Lathes Dennis Turk Metalworking 85 May 8th 21 05:18 PM
Lagun/Republic Lathes JB Metalworking 0 October 10th 05 11:41 PM
EMCO V10 lathes for sale [email protected] Metalworking 1 April 27th 04 04:26 AM
3 Clausing 4902 lathes for sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 April 21st 04 10:15 PM
Musing about tomorrow's lathes. (I'm becoming cognitively deprived) Arch Woodturning 21 October 28th 03 05:00 PM