Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

Default Grease Fitting

Gang,
Quick question - without me having to do much experimentation, does
anyone out there know if a grease fitting is made well enough to hold
air pressure? I have an application in mind, but a normal schrader
valve won't work, but a grease fitting (if silver soldered in
position) probably would be okay.
Thanks.
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Ken Sterling wrote:
Gang,
Quick question - without me having to do much experimentation, does
anyone out there know if a grease fitting is made well enough to hold
air pressure? I have an application in mind, but a normal schrader
valve won't work, but a grease fitting (if silver soldered in
position) probably would be okay.

Assuming it would, are you willing to risk
someone pumping grease into your widget
by mistake?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grease fittings have a spring loaded ball that seals the hole in the
fitting. The heat of silver soldering will anneal the spring and seal will
be lost.

Use JB Weld to seal the threads.

JAMW
Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
Gang,
Quick question - without me having to do much experimentation, does
anyone out there know if a grease fitting is made well enough to hold
air pressure? I have an application in mind, but a normal schrader
valve won't work, but a grease fitting (if silver soldered in
position) probably would be okay.
Thanks.
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
Gang,
Quick question - without me having to do much experimentation, does
anyone out there know if a grease fitting is made well enough to hold
air pressure? I have an application in mind, but a normal schrader
valve won't work, but a grease fitting (if silver soldered in
position) probably would be okay.
Thanks.
Ken.

I suspect a normal grease fitting ball check would not be air tight. My
Applied Industrial Technology catalog lists leaktight oil fittings which
look the same.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
Gang,
Quick question - without me having to do much experimentation, does
anyone out there know if a grease fitting is made well enough to hold
air pressure? I have an application in mind, but a normal schrader
valve won't work, but a grease fitting (if silver soldered in
position) probably would be okay.
Thanks.
Ken.

Not a grease fitting expert but my little loader / backhoe has 37 fittings
and almost every one of them spits some grease back out after I put grease
in. My bet would be they won't work for holding air.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

In article ,
Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

Gang,
Quick question - without me having to do much experimentation, does
anyone out there know if a grease fitting is made well enough to hold
air pressure? I have an application in mind, but a normal schrader
valve won't work, but a grease fitting (if silver soldered in
position) probably would be okay.
Thanks.
Ken.

Look around for "presta" valves. They're like schrader valves, but a
lot skinnier and definitely hold air. As cheap as going to a bike shop
and asking for any dead inner tubes with presta valves in 'em.
If you do go with a grease fitting, I suspect one made of brass (hard
to find, but I've seen 'em before) would have a better chance of
actually sealing air. You could also try adding a drop of air tool oil
to help it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Why would a presta work better than a schrader? The schrader
valves are available with 1/8" and 1/4" threads, which makes
them very convenient to use, and they hold just as much
pressure as the presta.

B.B. wrote:
Look around for "presta" valves. They're like schrader valves, but a
lot skinnier and definitely hold air. As cheap as going to a bike shop
and asking for any dead inner tubes with presta valves in 'em.
If you do go with a grease fitting, I suspect one made of brass (hard
to find, but I've seen 'em before) would have a better chance of
actually sealing air. You could also try adding a drop of air tool oil
to help it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:

Why would a presta work better than a schrader? The schrader
valves are available with 1/8" and 1/4" threads, which makes
them very convenient to use, and they hold just as much
pressure as the presta.

I did not know a smaller variety of schrader valve was available.