Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default parkerizing

Parkerizing requires Maganese dioxide and phosphoric acid, plus a bit
of iron (steel wool or filings) in boiling water.
Would it be possible to use the manganese dioxide from a standard (non
alkaline) dry cell? If I rinsed the mixture with water, the ammonium
chloride, being soluable in water, should wash out. The manganese
dioxide, being non-soluable in water, but soluable in acid, should
remain???

Or alkaline battery - rinse out the sodium or potassium
hydroxide(alkalie)?

What is another easy to get sourse for manganese dioxide????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:40:36 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Parkerizing requires Maganese dioxide and phosphoric acid, plus a bit
of iron (steel wool or filings) in boiling water.
Would it be possible to use the manganese dioxide from a standard (non
alkaline) dry cell? If I rinsed the mixture with water, the ammonium
chloride, being soluable in water, should wash out. The manganese
dioxide, being non-soluable in water, but soluable in acid, should
remain???

Or alkaline battery - rinse out the sodium or potassium
hydroxide(alkalie)?

What is another easy to get sourse for manganese dioxide????

Google gives http://www.sciencestuff.com/prod/Chem-Rgnts/C2044

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hul Tytus

Cla

Try www.skylighter.com

clare wrote:
Parkerizing requires Maganese dioxide and phosphoric acid, plus a bit
of iron (steel wool or filings) in boiling water.
Would it be possible to use the manganese dioxide from a standard (non
alkaline) dry cell? If I rinsed the mixture with water, the ammonium
chloride, being soluable in water, should wash out. The manganese
dioxide, being non-soluable in water, but soluable in acid, should
remain???

Or alkaline battery - rinse out the sodium or potassium
hydroxide(alkalie)?

What is another easy to get sourse for manganese dioxide????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:41:32 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:40:36 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Parkerizing requires Maganese dioxide and phosphoric acid, plus a bit
of iron (steel wool or filings) in boiling water.
Would it be possible to use the manganese dioxide from a standard (non
alkaline) dry cell? If I rinsed the mixture with water, the ammonium
chloride, being soluable in water, should wash out. The manganese
dioxide, being non-soluable in water, but soluable in acid, should
remain???

Or alkaline battery - rinse out the sodium or potassium
hydroxide(alkalie)?

What is another easy to get sourse for manganese dioxide????

Google gives http://www.sciencestuff.com/prod/Chem-Rgnts/C2044

Pete Keillor

There have to be better sources, cost-wise, than chemical supply
houses. I've just heard ceramic supply houses carry it at less than
HALF the price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:29:34 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca clare wrote:

There have to be better sources, cost-wise, than chemical supply
houses. I've just heard ceramic supply houses carry it at less than
HALF the price.

Well, you don't need food-grade USP 99.9999% pure...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On 10 Jan 2006 17:11:39 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:29:34 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca clare wrote:

There have to be better sources, cost-wise, than chemical supply
houses. I've just heard ceramic supply houses carry it at less than
HALF the price.

Well, you don't need food-grade USP 99.9999% pure...

Found both manganese dioxide and zinc oxide for less than $8 canadian
per kilogram at a local pottery supply. Will pick up tomorrow - less
than 10 miles from home.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:09:10 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca clare wrote:
On 10 Jan 2006 17:11:39 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, you don't need food-grade USP 99.9999% pure...

Found both manganese dioxide and zinc oxide for less than $8 canadian
per kilogram at a local pottery supply. Will pick up tomorrow - less
than 10 miles from home.

Ah, excellent. I'll have to check that out. I've got the sandblast
cabinet and the information, and now sounds like I've got a lead on the
chemicals. Thanks for the followup!

Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On 11 Jan 2006 04:22:40 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:09:10 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca clare wrote:
On 10 Jan 2006 17:11:39 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, you don't need food-grade USP 99.9999% pure...

Found both manganese dioxide and zinc oxide for less than $8 canadian
per kilogram at a local pottery supply. Will pick up tomorrow - less
than 10 miles from home.

Ah, excellent. I'll have to check that out. I've got the sandblast
cabinet and the information, and now sounds like I've got a lead on the
chemicals. Thanks for the followup!

Dave Hinz

Apparently Titanium Dioxide, used as a white pigment, is the active
ingredient in the pre-wash. After cleaning and degreasing you dip in
the Ti solution, and then, without drying, into the Park solution.